Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain frustrations

Post Weight gain frustrations

I just got back from our 2 mo visit to the pediatrician and my LO only gained 8 oz in 4 weeks! Ugh!

Background: He was born 6 weeks (born at 33.7 weeks, currently 8 weeks, corrected age 2 weeks) early and in the NICU with complications in regards to blood in his stool. He was without "milk" for 2 weeks as his gut needed to heal and rest. In the time I pumped anywhere from every 2 hours to every 4 depending on my availability. LO had either dad or myself with him 24-7 while in the NICU. Once he was able to eat it took about 2 weeks for him to get the hang of it. In that 2 week feeding time, I did some nursing but mostly he was feed with BM through a bottle. He never had any issues with latching only with the suck, swallow, breath thing. I have a fast let-down (that he is now used to), this kept him from wanting to nursed past that point. Because I wanted us to get out of there asap I stuck to nursing once a day and giving him bottle the rest of the feeds. My supply while in the hospital was minimal 70ml the most from pumping with hospital grade 15 mins.

Okay now we are home, for 3+ weeks and exclusively BF, only giving a bottle after nursing every once in a while because he'll take it and usually sleep a little more. When we nurse he feeds on both sides for maybe 10 mins on each side before he falls asleep. He doesn't nurse much past that fast let down I talked about earlier. He's pretty fussy most of the day unless he's held or in the wrap. He does not like to be put down (which have been like my previous children).

Went to the doc today and 8oz in a month! I'm frustrated and in tears. Am I starving my boy? My doc tells me I need to give him 2 oz of my stocked up BM after every nursing- well he's nursing every 2 hours! I'm going to run through my stock in no time! I'm freaking out that my supply is never going to give him the amount he needs. Is he still to little to BF for a lengthy amount of time? Could he be getting tired at the breast and not able to finish a feed? Do I follow the doc advice? I refuse to give formula, but now how much am I going to have to pump during the day? I HATE pumping! I have 2 other children at home and pumping in not an easy task with a newborn and 2 year old.

Ugh!
    -frustrated and feeling defeated!

Please help...
    Last edited by @llli*ssotka; August 19th, 2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added corrected (gestational) age

Default Re: Weight gain frustrations

http://kellymom.com/health/growth/weight-gain_increase/
    Hi! I have a few questions so hopefully we can help you better.
    Was baby weighed nude on the same scale as previously used?
    Does baby sleep long stretches at night and are pacifiers or swaddling used to extend sleep?
    Do you have an IBCLC or even a LLL leader in your area to help you assess babies latch and ability to transfer milk?
    Will baby nurse if you offer before 2 hours?
    Did the doctor rule out any medical causes of low weight gain: heart defect, allergy etc?
    What is baby's complete weight history?
    If I were in your shoes, I'd get a hold of some lactation help. 2 oz at every feeding is essentially a full meal and your right about exclusively pumping being very difficult to maintain. I'm not saying some supplementation isn't needed but bottle feeding without finding the underlying problem is a band aid when you really need stitches. Also, I'd look into buying/renting a precise baby scale so you can do pre/post feed weigh. This will help you know exactly how much to supplement.

Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out...
    Here are the answers to your questions.

Does baby sleep long stretches at night and are pacifiers or swaddling used to extend sleep? No definitely not, I nurse once through the night by getting out of bed and sitting in a chair (both sides 10 mins each), he then sleeps a short stretch then I bring him in bed with me and nurse him throughout the night while laying down.
    Do you have an IBCLC or even a LLL leader in your area to help you assess babies latch and ability to transfer milk? While in the NICU this was all assessed by both IBCLC and speech and language. Nothing has changed since. I was told his latch is great and so is his sucking. I can hear him swallowing and gulping down milk while at the breast.
    Will baby nurse if you offer before 2 hours? absolutely, he would be at the boob 24-7 if I let him.
    Did the doctor rule out any medical causes of low weight gain: heart defect, allergy etc? Since we were in the NICU for 5 weeks he was hooked up to machines that monitored his heart and was assessed every 4 hours. GI was involved in our team since we had some stomach issues that have since cleared up and they and Infectious disease ruled out and possibility for milk allergy. Could there be something with no symptoms besides low weight gain?
    What is baby's complete weight history? I'm not totally certain from the NICU but he was steadily gaining while there, gradually. birth weight 5lb 12 oz. Lost while in hospital to start to about 4lb 9 oz, he was NPO for 2weeks and only getting TPN and fats through a PICC line. Gained towards end of stay and left at 6lbs ?oz. 2 days after getting home (at 6weeks old corrected:39 weeks) 7lbs 1oz 2 month checkup 7lbs 9.5oz. last 2 weighings were same scale naked.

I will try and get ahold of a scale and see what comes of that. Thanks for the link.

Just for clarification purposes--if baby would nurse more frequently than every two hours, why is baby not nursing more frequently than every two hours? Is this a schedule that was imposed upon you by a medical provider at some point?

Basically, I am just guessing here that the schedule may be the problem. If baby wants to nurse more frequently than baby actually IS nursing, I bet limiting the feedings is probably what is causing the problems with weight gain at this point.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I don't think schedule is the problem. If he cries I put him to the breast, and he cries alot! I can't put him down without him being upset. I have no idea how much I nurse him since I nurse him on demand. My guess is every 1.5 to 2 hours. Which is why I was surprised by his lack of weight gain, I feel like I am feeding him all day long.