Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Made it to Two years + Biting advice?

Default Made it to Two years + Biting advice?

Peanut turned two on D-Day. However, she has taken to biting viciously when angry. Twice now when I have offered the breast in an attempt to calm her mid-tantrum, she has viciously bitten my nipple. She's bruised me both times.

I am not ashamed to admit I screamed both times. I know you're not supposed to and supposed to ease them off etc etc. but these are not the normal chewing bites (which I have also experienced) these were both vicious and done with the intent to hurt with a mouth FULL of sharp baby teeth.

I am honestly not sure what to do. She seems to have, in the past month, blown into the terrible twos full force. I am certain part of it is how crazy the past two months have been for us. We went to visit family, expecting to be gone two weeks and were gone five due to a series of unexpected events. Then we came back and my mother and sister stayed with us for another two. On top of that we were barely home those two weeks (We live in Delaware, smack in the middle of everything so we wound up in Atlantic City, Philly, NYC... and several other smaller nearby places all in the span of two weeks)

But, yeah, biting my nipple like that is horrific to say the least... but we made it to two years! Anyone have any advice at large for this?

Default Re: Made it to Two years + Biting advice?

I think your LO is telling you not to try to nurse when she's mid-tantrum. It's not a failure of nursing. It's just normal for kids to lash out when hurt or angry. For example, if I try to cuddle my 8 year-old when she's hurt or frustrated or upset, she will often push away or say something like "I don't want your arm around me." Your LO isn't that verbal yet, so she chomps instead.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congrats on two years of nursing! I agree with mommal, I'd let LO calm down first. My LO, also two, doesn't usually even want to nurse mid-tantrum, but once she starts winding down nursing is great for putting the whole episode behind us.

Ah, it's not just the breast, though that is the most painful. She's taken to biting viciously period. I have a nasty bruise on my shoulder. After the second bite I don't let her near my boobs if she's screamy. The first time she came to me the second time I picked her up.

We're new to the tantrums and she's my first, so I don't even know what to do half the time.

We did successfully feed, twice, in the middle of NYC though!

Tantrums are best handled with patience, love, and calmness. Try distracting your LO- offer snacks, songs, a back rub, a toy, etc. give her gentle touches- hold her hand, stroke her back. I'd say offer to nurse but that's not what you want to do with a biter!

Bites should be discouraged with a "No, hurts mommy, we don't bite!" followed by you walking away and staying away for a while.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

My now 8 year old son bit around this age. He purposefully bit me when nursing too, but that was earlier. At two, he loved sinking those fangs into my shoulder. Yeouch. What was worse in a way was that he was not even mad when he did it.

I honestly do not remember exactly how I handled it, probably pretty much how mommal suggests, especially the walking away until I calmed down. If I could not walk away I would put my head down and count to 10 or something. but I am not going to lie, when my kids bit me (my toddler daughter was also a nipple biter for a while) I also scream. Because it freaking hurts. I know I did not bite him back, which was some of the unhelpful advice I got at the time!

Just wanted you to know you are not alone. In our case, it was a stage, and he only bit immediate family members, which I was grateful for.

Hey guys. Life got crazy busy, but I wanted to say THANK YOU. Things are still screamy at times, but biting viciously seems to have calmed for now.

We did our first separation for more than 8 hours last weekend. Oh man, almost 72 hours nearly killed her dad. I missed her, but to be honest, after months of terrible twos, I was glad for a grown up fun break.

Her dad who was suddenly thrown into 'real' parenting. Not so much. (He's very much had the Disney-view because I've pretty much taken care of everything since he works outside the home and I get to sleep when she does. With the supposed understanding that he doesn't get to complain if the house is a mess when she's being difficult... He was still getting grumpy about the house during bad weeks... now he understands. Thank you for being a rotten little brat while I was gone, Peanut)

Nothing like having Dad take over for a while to bring out the "I don't know how you do it"!