Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help!!!!

Unhappy please help!!!!

My daughter is 4 wks. and 3 days old. We have had a streggle with breastfeeding! I have two other daughters that I BF and there were not issues. First, the week after her birth my nipples became very sore, cracked, and bleeding. I started to pump bc they were SO bad. Icontinued for three weeks so they would heal. In the mean time I pumped and fed her through a bottle. I began to work with a LC for latch-on issues, and was given a nipple shield. Then of course I got mastitis. I tried nursing whenever she was up, even waking her. Now my milk supply is very low!!!!!! I am pumping and using a feeding thing at the breast to increase my milk supply! My other children, husband, and mother keep pressuring me to give up! I really want to nurse, however, she is so unhappy that I continue to give her a bottle. She does not actively suck at the breast!! What can I do or am I a lost cause? Please help ASAP!!!

HELPNEEDED

Default Re: please help!!!!

That sounds tough! I think the best thing for supply and for latch is to get your baby as close to "back on the breast" as possible. It sounds like you're using a feeding tube/SNS at the breast? Will your baby latch with just the shield? If so, I'd say to keep DD eating as frequently as possible with just the shield. Everything you put in-between you and DD increases the possibility of latch issues and/or supply issues.

We had to use a shield for a few months, and also pumped after DB ate to keep up supply. I also started eating oatmeal everyday and taking fenugreek tablets.

I think you also need to decide how much you're willing to put up with from your family. I would get DH on your side about bf'ing. Then the two of you should present a united front and say something like, "It's already a stressful time right now and we could use your support. If you don't support me bf'ing, then we'd appreciate it if you'd at least keep quiet about it and find something else to do/say."

GL!

I remember this oh so well. I too had latch problems and cracked nipples so I pumped and gave it to her with a bottle. Now what is happening when you put her to the breast is that she is not getting her milk fast enough and she acts like she is starving. Which then makes you really nerves and in turns delays your let down, so now baby is screaming, your dh and mother are all staring at you and telling you to give baby a bottle . OOOHH I remember that all to well. I broke down and cried and told my husband this was really important to me and I could not do this with him telling me to give up(I really need your support and help latching her on). So what I did was give the baby about 2 oz. of ebm in a bottle to take the edge off then put her to the breast. It takes time but it will help baby not to cry so much. Then when baby is done eating you will need to pump to keep your supply up. After baby latches on more often she will become better at latching on with out the bottle first. ****Just remember to relax**** Get a big glass of water and make sure to get dh to help. I hope everything gets better and keep up the good work it will pay off in the end.

I am sorry you are experiencing these troubles and set backs. You are definitely not a lost cause. So hang in there, and we'll see if we can help you figure this out!

We can try to help you in this forum, but it would really be helpful if you were working with someone in person. You mentioned seeing an LC. Do you still keep in touch with her? Does she know how things are going? How about LLL in your area? Would you be able to call a local Leader? She would be able to do so much more for you in person. Here is a link if you do not have the information on a local Leader:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

And here is another link on pumping and supply. Of course, this is only part of your situation, as you are still trying to get dd to latch.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

Could you tell us some more about dd's nursing and your pumping? How frequent? How long each time? Wet/dirty diapers? Growth?

Could you explain why you feel she is so unhappy? When does she seem the unhappiest in relation to feedings and time of day?

I think that is enough for now! Take care and hang in there.

Unhappy Re: please help!!!!

I am pumping at least 4-6 x a day if I can manage more I do more. I pump for 10-20 minutes per session. I have trouble pumping in the middle of the night bc I am so tired and have trouble staying awake to do it. I have tried setting an alarm but it doesn't work! Any suggestions? My daughter is unhappy/cries when I try to bf her. After the one let down I have (2 minutes if that) she either gets realy mad (cries) or she just falls asleep at the breast! I am so overwhelmed!!!! I do keep in contact with the LC, however, I can't afford to keep seeing her. Are there any that will help for free? I bf more on the rt. bc the lt. breast is STILL healing, and I am afraid it will go back to being cracked! Of course that is the breast with the least amount! The tube thing at the breast really makes my daughter mad and frustrated. It is harder to do than I thought! I thought about trying fenugreek but I am taking antibiotics for the mastitis and don't know if I can take the two!!

Hi there,
    To answer your question, yes, many LLL Leaders will do home visits and since we are a volunteer organization we do not charge a fee. I strongly urge you to try to contact someone tomorrow if possible. Again, it is really hard to assess latch problems via email. But we will try to give you some information. Check out this link on making sure baby is getting enough. It will help you answer my questions on output and growth. BTW, do you have enough expressed milk to feed dd or are you supplementing with formula?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

I am going to give you a link to some latch info. It is not LLLI info, but it is put out by an IBCLC who is an LLLL. Please check this out.
    It is all good, but I would suggest you read the section titled "How Breastfeeding Works". She has some latch pictures there that might be helpful.

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/index.html

Many moms who have trouble keeping a baby actively nursing at the breast try using breast compressions and find this helps babies during the early weeks. This is not an LLL article, but it is a good explanation of this by a reputable MD, Dr. Jack Newman. He is on the LLLI Medical Advisory Board.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

I didn't have a chance to ask you before, but what type of pump are you using? Is it new or used? This will affect supply.

How much milk are you getting when you pump? I would suggest, since you are still establishing your milk supply at 4 weeks that you pump at least 6-8 times in 24 hours. LLL suggest 8-10 times daily for the first few days. And once supply is established moms can usually back off. If moms are experiencing a reduction in supply it is suggested that they increase to 8-10 times in 24 hours for a few days to increase supply. So you may see an increase if you shoot for 8 times. Milk is more plentiful in the morning, so that is one of the best times to pump. You said you are having trouble waking at night. Could DH wake you?

DD may be unhappy and crying when you try to feed her because she has gotten used to the fast flow of the bottle and doesn't really care to work at nursing your breast. Some moms have found that offering a little bit of milk (bottle, syringe, cup-feeding) to take the edge off helps baby calm down and be more relaxed about nursing. Could you try this?

BTW, if you are not aware, cup feeding is when you take a small cup with a thick rim (like a shot glass) and feed the baby by allowing her to lap up the milk when you place the cup up to her lips. You would hold her in an upright position (sitting) and allow her to lap the milk with her tongue. You would NOT want to pour the milk into her mouth, as she could choke/drown. This is one way to avoid the bottle and get her back to being used to the breast. You may want to ask your LC about this, or LLL Leader.

Has you LC told you that dd has a small mouth and you have large nipples/areolas? Some babies need to "grow into" nursing because they are just too disproportionate with their moms. If this is the case, you could pump for a week or two and not try to nurse at all. Sometimes all it takes is a little growth and these babies do better.

Hang in there! I know these seem like dark times, but you are doing very well and dd is lucky you are trying so hard. Unsupportive family members often hate to see you (the mom) suffering and want to make it better. The only way they see how is to encourage you to quit. Try to understand where they are coming from and then explain how important this is to you and all the things they CAN do to help you and DD.

Take care and let us know how things are going.

Of course, after that very long response, I forgot a few things!

First, if you are considering taking fenugreek you should discuss this with your physician, especially because you are on the antibiotic.

Since you have had mastitis you really need to be extra diligent about milk removal. If dd is not doing it, then the pump should. This is extremely important.

Also, the combination of mastitis, antibiotics and cracked nipples leaves your body ripe for a yeast infection. I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you or not and I certainly don't want to alarm you, but those three things are predisposing factors for a yeast infection. I would suggest taking a probiotic supplement to help your body get back into balance. Antibiotics kill of bad bacteria, but also wreak havoc with good bacteria. Probiotics help with this by swinging things back into balance. You can find an acidophilus supplement in a health food store. Some grocery stores carry these supplements in their natural foods sections. They are often refrigerated. Also, sugar promotes yeast growth, so if you enjoy lots of refined sugars, sodas, etc., I would try to limit those as much as possible. Finally, be cautious of wearing wet bras or breast pads. These are breeding grounds for yeast.

Ok, that's all for now!

I am using the Synphony pump. I looked at the site about LLL in my area and there was only one. I will try to contact her today!

I tried to do the nursing on demand with my daughter and doing nothing but nurse. She was at the breast from 10:45 to 12:45! Everytime she would fall asleep I took her off and immediately she would become frantic so I put her back on. I finally gave in and gave her a bottle that I thought she wouldn't finish, but she did. How discouraging!!!! She is doing well in terms of her weight and growth but that isn't because of me, it is because of the bottle !!! This is breaking my heart!!!

helpneeded!

Just wondering if you reached an LLL Leader yet?

Also, did the breast compressions work for you at all?

Some babies like to remain close to mom after a feeding. When she is done would you be able to hold her/carry her/ wear her in a sling? She might not need to nurse again, but might want to be close to you.

Hang in there! You can do this!