Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone nursing a 4 year old?

Default Anyone nursing a 4 year old?

Just looking for others to share their experiences. We are going through a stressful time this week and next with swim lessons for my son (will be 4 in 2 weeks) - they are an hour each day, 5 days a week for 2 weeks. He is comfortable in the water, but this is the first class that isn't mommy and me (and he isn't in preschool)- I have to sit on the bleachers far away from where he is taking his class (I'm using binoculars to see him!).

There have been lots of tears and LOTS OF NURSING this week and I'm so ready to be done, but I know it's what he needs. I love nursing 1-2 times a day, at naps and nighttime, or first thing in the morning. But, this week has worn me out emotionally, mentally. I'm trying to be compassionate, empathetic, look on the bright side - at least "mimi" makes him feel better. But, man this is tough.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Default Re: Anyone nursing a 4 year old?

No advice, as I'm only nursing a 2.5yo, but I have lots of sympathy and love. Hugs to you both. You're an amazing mama!

I have two sons who self-weaned at age 5 and 4.5 respectively. Have a daughter who is nursing, almost 2.
    Swim lessons are really tough for some kids. For my middle child, even having me 10 feet away was too much, and ultimately I realized that he (and I) were being pushed into a scenario he was not ready for yet with not being able to have me in the water with him. Unfortunately, by the time I stopped being intimidated by the swimming instructors rules and realized I should listen to what my instincts were telling me, the damage was done and he ended up with an aversion to swimming for over a year after that.

So If this is what your child needs to get through these more challenging swim lessons/separations distance, I think it is great you can meet this need.

I think every nursing mom has days or weeks or longer when it feels really, really hard and we wonder if we should keep going. If we nurse for a longer time, we will probably have these feelings many times. I can only say I have never regretted that my kids nursed as long as they did. In my experience, mothering gets no easier and in some ways, is even harder, after a child weans. As a child grows the challenges remain as difficult. They are just different. Luckily the joys also remain great, while they are also different.

Swim lessons are really tough for some kids. For my middle child, even having me 10 feet away was too much, and ultimately I realized that he (and I) were being pushed into a scenario he was not ready for yet with not being able to have me in the water with him.
    YES!!! Some kids just are not ready for a big physical separation from mom at age 4, whether it's at a swim lesson or at preschool or whatever. You're not holding your child back or preventing him from developing an independent spirit by recognizing or accommodating this. It's temporary!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nodding my head at what the others have said! My DS is 3 years, 3 months, so not quite a 4 year old, but he is also very sensitive and I can't imagine him being ready for a solo class any time soon. Nursing sounds like it's doing him a world of good to digest what is challenging but also exciting for him. You're doing great!

Thanks ladies! I really needed to hear that! Happy to report that his lessons today went really well - no tears. It's also been stressful for both of us because he is transitioning to no nap - well, actually I think the transition is pretty much complete. I've been having a hard time getting my mind around what our schedule will be with no nap and how I'll find peace during the middle of the day. I think I'm in a better place after a restful weekend, - well, it's touch and go as he is supposed to be doing quiet time now and whining about needing me... but that's for another post :-)