Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decrease in milk- advice please!

Default Decrease in milk- advice please!

Hello,
    I would like some advice around milk production. Some background- I have a 7 1/2 month old girl. Healthy weight, started crawling recently, eating solid foods twice a day. I work three days a week so I pump at work and she takes the bottle at home with daddy. I work 12 hour days, I feed her right before leaving for work at 730 and then I pump at 9, 12, 3, 6, and 8 pm. I usually pump around 5-6 ounces in the morning and the rest are between 3-4 ounces. I get home by 9:30 pm and I nurse her right away. She goes to sleep and now only wakes up once during the night to nurse and then she's up around 6:30 am and she nurses. I've never had a milk supply issue- she is my third baby and I was a production cow with the other 2 for a couple of years with each.

Yesterday was my "monday" so to speak- I came to work after being off for a week. I pumped 15 ounces for the entire day which is a bit lower than I usually pump. This morning I only pumped 3 1/2 ounces which is half of what I normally pump in the morning. We have a freezer full of milk so I'm not worried about having enough at home- but I'm worried that my supply is decreasing and I'm not sure what I can do to help. I have a great pump- double electric Medela, I hand massage during pumping and I pump between 15-20 minutes with each session.

I don't take any medications on a regular basis. I recently started using Alaway eye drops for eye allergies but that's the only thing I take (other than prenatal vitamins).

Any advice? I can't remember if a drop off in production is "normal" as baby gets older. Oh, and when I'm home with her she nurses every three hours, good suction, good focus, she's a great nurser actually.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Decrease in milk- advice please!

A few thoughts:

--Have you changed out your membranes recently? Every time I started to have difficulty pumping, replacing the white membranes often got me back on track!
    --Will baby nurse more often at night? Those long stretches at night with no nursing often have a negative affect on maintaining supply. I would even focus on trying to nurse more during the day, too, since you say she generally goes for 3 hour stretches. Removing milk from the breast is the best way to tell your body to make more milk!
    --How much milk is baby drinking in your absence? A good rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz/hr of separation. So 15 ounces may actually be okay intake for a 12 hour separation, particularly if baby is given free rein to nurse plenty when together with mom!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thank you for your response! I'll change out the membranes- good idea! Take last night for instance- she nursed when I got home from work close to 10 pm and she was wide awake so she nursed again at 11 and went to sleep. She woke up around 3:30 am and then again at 6:00 am and nursed both times. She nursed at 7:30 before I left for work and then I pumped at 0900. Seems like a lot when you see it all written down like that. She drinks less than I pump during the day- she'd rather nurse from the breast (of course! but it's usually 2-4 ounces every 3 hours and she eats food twice a day. After my last shift tomorrow I'll be home for a week with her and I let her nurse whenever she wants so I say it's every three hours but it's probably closer to every 2 1/2. I probably shouldn't stress too much- I know that's not helping. It's just weird, especially today- I feel like I'm hardly producing anything.

Do you think your period might be on the way? Whenever I had an abrupt drop like that it turned out to be my period. Also any new hormonal birth control, or possibility of pregnancy? I think changing out the membranes is a good idea and encouraging lots of nursing as sonogirl suggested.

After doing some research I thought the same thing- maybe my period is coming back! With my other two girls it took at least a year before my period returned- though I can't remember how it affected my supply. Does supply return to normal after the cycle is over?

Yes it's a temporary dip. Some moms find it helpful to supplement with calcium and magnesium.

My pumping supply actually never really came back up to what it was before my period came back; but mine came back at the year point, when pumping output often begins to naturally decrease, anyway. So I don't blame my period returning for the drop in my output. Most women I know experience dips for just a couple of days around their period and then pop right back up to normal.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

My supply bumps back up a few days into my period. And I don't always experience a drop.