Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!!

Default Ouch!!

Lately, I have experienced a lot of pain while nursing, especially at the beginning of each session. Also, My 8 month old has started pulling his head back and away from my breast (while still latched) and/or using his fist to kind of brace himself and push himself back and away creating a more shallow latch, and making nursing him extremely painful. Ive tried reminding him to be "gentle" and removing him when it's painful, but this hasnt helped much and frustrates him. Im wondering why he might be doing this and what to do about it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Default Re: Ouch!!

I'm sorry we missed this before!

I see your post is from a couple weeks ago... Is your baby still pulling back while latched on?

At about the same age, my son used to pull back while holding on until the last possible second when he was done nursing, and it was excruciating. He was just messing around though. It sounds like your baby is trying to adjust his latch, not just playing around. Is that right?

Do you have a fast letdown? Could it be that he's getting more milk than he wants at that moment and is trying to lessen the flow?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Ouch!!

Maybe he is teething.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.