Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much breastmilk per bottle feeding?

Default How much breastmilk per bottle feeding?

My son is 5 months and 16lbs. He gets a bottle of breastmilk two or three times a week. I leave a 6-7 oz bottle, assuming there will be an ounce left just in case I'm late getting home and he needs to be held over. Well he's been polishing off the whole bottle in 20 minutes. My mother in law keeps saying he's still hungry which I doubt. The other day I thawed 8 oz and told her he wouldn't take the whole thing....well she said he did and was still hungry. I think he just likes to suck and if there's a bottle in his mouth he'll keep going. He didn't throw up though and ate 2.5 hours later. He's nursing 8 times a day between 630am and 8pm which an occasional 4am feed. On the breast he's done in 5-10 mins. How much should he be consuming at each feed?

Default Re: How much breastmilk per bottle feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lhs2014 View Post
    My son is 5 months and 16lbs. He gets a bottle of breastmilk two or three times a week. I leave a 6-7 oz bottle, assuming there will be an ounce left just in case I'm late getting home and he needs to be held over. Well he's been polishing off the whole bottle in 20 minutes. My mother in law keeps saying he's still hungry which I doubt. The other day I thawed 8 oz and told her he wouldn't take the whole thing....well she said he did and was still hungry. I think he just likes to suck and if there's a bottle in his mouth he'll keep going. He didn't throw up though and ate 2.5 hours later. He's nursing 8 times a day between 630am and 8pm which an occasional 4am feed. On the breast he's done in 5-10 mins. How much should he be consuming at each feed?
    Look up paced bottle feeding. If you MIL is not doing that then it is likely that babe is finishing off the whole bottle before his tummy has time to even register the "I'm full signal" to the brain. Perhaps make smaller bottles, like the size you think he should be eating at one sitting, then send some small 1-2 oz frozen top ups. That way if she is unwilling to do the paced bottle feeding, at least you make her have to pause to thaw/warm up the next bit and give him time to realize he is actually full before sucking down twice what he would normally.

I would agree with the PP that it would be helpful to provide your MIL with information about paced bottle feedings. 6-8 oz is a very, very large single feeding for a breastfed baby, who typically only eat something like 2-4 oz per feeding on average at the breast. You are right to think that it is most probable that baby just likes to suck, and it's very, very, very easy to get a huge meal very fast from a bottle!

So how long are you separated from your baby? The rule of thumb for a breastfed baby is that you will want to leave 1-1.5 oz per hour of separation. It doesn't matter how old baby is or how much baby weighs, this will stay consistent. I would definitely provide bottles no larger than about 3 oz for your MIL, and again, encourage her to use paced bottle feeding techniques. Breastfed babies typically like smaller, more frequent meals. So it's not unusual that even after a huge meal at the bottle, baby is asking to eat again a couple of hours later--they like those frequent feeds!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    Look up paced bottle feeding. If you MIL is not doing that then it is likely that babe is finishing off the whole bottle before his tummy has time to even register the "I'm full signal" to the brain. Perhaps make smaller bottles, like the size you think he should be eating at one sitting, then send some small 1-2 oz frozen top ups. That way if she is unwilling to do the paced bottle feeding, at least you make her have to pause to thaw/warm up the next bit and give him time to realize he is actually full before sucking down twice what he would normally.
    Excellent advice!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here are some links about paced feeding:
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

Expressed milk needs:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

You might have to encourage MIL to try alternative soothing techniques besides a bottle. Motion, walking with baby, rocking, singing/talking to baby. Or maybe a pacifier during the separation if baby will take it. I definitely agree with trying to work your way down to a more physiological bottle size (for example, three ounces with an additional ounce as needed).