Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with sleep for an almost 7 month old

Default Re: Help with sleep for an almost 7 month old

Time between feedings is going to vary from mom/baby pair since it isn't just a matter of age and how much food a baby can possibly take in at a feeding. How much milk mom can store in her breasts will also impact how big the feedings can be and therefore how long they can both go between feedings. Moms with LARGE storage capacity can also go long stretches between feeding if the baby also has a large capacity to take milk in. Moms with small storage capacity or babies with small tummies both need to feed more often.

Add to that the variations in work or sleep arrangements and figuring out what will work could be tricky. Keep researching for ideas to see what might help your situation most.

Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruchiccio View Post
    I would never manage waking up 12-15 times to feed my baby! In fact, when I go to sleep really late (1am, say) and wake up for the morning at 7am, but with one feed in the night, I wake up MORE refreshed then if I'd gone to bed 4 hours earlier but woke up 3 times that night.
    Well, what made it work was that neither one of us fully awoke for those feedings. Mastering sidelying nursing definitely helped us out a lot; I don't know that I would have survived the first year or managed to successfully pump what I needed to pump during my working hours without it!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Ah nursing and sleeping...the epic plight of our household since day one. My son is the sweetest little guy...but he is an extremely rough sleeper. I mean the guy didn't even sleep for like 15 hours after he was born...and even then he rarely slept. The photographer doing his newborn pics was like "uhm he acts like he is 3 mo. old!" ha! He once BF for 5 hours straight!!! So we have gone from around 3 mo. to him sleeping completely through the night in a swing...to him getting his first cold...transitioning to his crib and waking up literally every 30 minutes to an hour. It was TERRIBLE. And there were many times where I almost threw in the towel and co-slept. I was mostly worried this would wake my husband (who works, and doesn't do overnights)...but then also I really wanted to remain consistent. So we bought Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution". For us this has taken us from waking up between 15-20 times a night. To now he wakes up between 2-3 times between the hours of 7-10pm (my husbands shift after I've fed him). He goes in there and rocks him briefly (maybe a minute nowadays) and lays him back down. Then around 10-11pm I pick up the shift and feed him. He is usually semi-decently hungry. Then he will sleep either to 1, or 2:30...or if I'm lucky even later. Then he wakes up around 5 then up for the day by 7-7:30am. So overall we are still waking up during the night about 3 times on a good night. Keeping in mind that breastmilk does go through their system quicker...honestly I just recommend the book. It's exhausting...and you will need coffee...obviously decaf but it's still worth it. I've also heard great thing about the baby whisperer....but for us we are sticking with not using cry-it out. Hope that helps.
    Proud Mom of Noah
    Born: October 17, 2013
    7 lbs. 8 oz // 21 inches long