Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate for advice!!

Default Desperate for advice!!

Here's my question:
    Is a hospital grade pump really worth it if I already have the Medela pump
    In style advance? Will a hospital grade pump increase my supply?

Here's some background info:
    I have a 6 month old baby girl. I have struggle with BF the entire time. When she was first born she wouldn't eat. The lactation consultant at the hospital even gave up and told me she didn't know what to do anymore. She would go hours without eating. I struggle with supply from the beginning. For weeks I sat on the couch nursing my LO as often as possible just to keep my supply up and keep her full. She is also lip tied, so learning to latch was an intensely painful process. At two weeks we found out that she tested positive for MCAD(a metabolic disorder). We went trough a month of further testing to confirm. During that time we were under strict instructions to make sure that she ate every 3 hours and that she was eating at least 3-4 ounces at a time (if she didn't eat enough she could have seizures, go into a coma, or even die). There was no way that I had that had that much supply so we started supplementing with formula once a day. On top of that, she was extremely gassy/colicky (which seemed to get better after a bottle of formula). After the month of testing we found out that the test was a false positive and she was only a carrier of the disorder. I continued nursing my LO full time until she was 3 1/2 months old and I had to return to work. I've never been able to pump enough to even build up a supply, even with my medela. I went from nursing her full time, to nursing her in the morning, evening, and night time to now, where I am almost fully dried up. When she nurses she gets about 4 sucks and then there is nothing left. Now, when I pump I don't even get enough to wet the bottom of the bottle. I am taking fenugreek, fennel, mothers milk tea, eating oatmeal, drinking plenty of water, tried drinking a beer, and trying to nurse her as often as possible. But nothing seems to be working.
    I'm at my wits end. On top of all of these issues, I have my own health concerns. I take medicine for PCOS, ADHD, and anxiety, which I haven't been able to take since I got pregnant. I've been dealing with server joint pain in my back, hips, and knees since she was born. My weight has skyrocketed since my LO was born due to hormone surges and severe post-partum anxiety/depression. Although everyone advised me to stop nursing and take the necessary meds, I was able to work through it without medication and continue nursing. I'm proud of my accomplishments and I would really love to keep nursing as long as possible. But part of me wonders if this is just a sign that I need to quit and take care of myself now. I feel like renting a hospital pump is pretty much my last option, but I don't know if it's really any better than the medela that I have.

I'm sorry this is such a long post. I'm just extremely frustrated and torn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: Desperate for advice!!

when you pump, how often and for how long?
    How does it feel (does it hurt)?
    Do you do massage and compressions?

Did you get the lip/tongue tie corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    when you pump, how often and for how long?
    How does it feel (does it hurt)?
    Do you do massage and compressions?

Did you get the lip/tongue tie corrected?
    I pump for at least 15 minutes on each side. Usually to the point that it's just not comfortable anymore, although there is no pain at first... Only after I've been pumping for a while. I just went on Summer vacation, but while I was working I was only able to pump once while at work and then I would pump at night after LO eats. Now that I'm in break, I try to pump as often as I can, but still get nothing. I try massage and compressions while point and haven't noticed it helping.
    Her pediatrician is not overly concerned about her lip tie right now and is hoping it will correct itself without needing to be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*teacher.mom85 View Post
    I pump for at least 15 minutes on each side. Usually to the point that it's just not comfortable anymore, although there is no pain at first... Only after I've been pumping for a while. I just went on Summer vacation, but while I was working I was only able to pump once while at work and then I would pump at night after LO eats. Now that I'm in break, I try to pump as often as I can, but still get nothing. I try massage and compressions while point and haven't noticed it helping.
    Her pediatrician is not overly concerned about her lip tie right now and is hoping it will correct itself without needing to be cut.
    Tongue ties often go with lip ties and if the lip tie (and possibly an undiagnosed posterior tongue tie) caused pain with breast feeding, then it could well have also caused problems with your milk supply.

Lip ties probably don't normally correct themselves but they may not actually be a problem if they really are not that tight. Might be good to check with a pediatric dentist to see if they are concerned with it causing a gap or problems with the front teeth. Otherwise the next thing to wonder about will be speech.

To bring up my supply (I have a 3 month old but have been having supply issues from the beginning, tongue and lip tie corrected at 8 weeks) I breast feed like 11 times a day normally and try to pump after each feeding (which was possible while DH was home on a break but when I'm on my own I probably only get to pump half the time.) When we supplement we use at at the beast lactation aid. I produce enough milk for DS but he doesn't seem to be able to transfer as much as he needs to keep up a good weight gain so we supplement 3-5 oz per day.

Have you considered a prescription galactagogue? PCOS can affect your milk supply and medications such as Reglan in the US and domperidone in the UK increase your prolactin levels; which can be an issue with PCOS. I currently take domperidone but this is not available in the US. Both have side effects you would need to discuss with your HCP.... But it may help!

Did you call infantrisk to confirm that all the medication you want to take are actually contraindicated when nursing? Most meds are actually NOT contraindicated although the manufacturer will say not to nurse. www.infantrisk.org

As far as a different pump- Generally speaking, yes, Hospital grade pumps are better for increasing milk production than other pumps. Because they are designed for frequent, very effective milk removal over a long period of time, and that is NOT what a personal use pump is designed for. Really, as soon as it was indicated baby needed supplements you should have been advised to use a hospital grade pump, because that is the proper equipment for when such a young baby requires supplements or mom is trying to increase her production. A personal use pump is designed for the mother who is back at work- to be used a couple times a day after mom has established normal milk production. They really are different, which is why the hospital grade pump costs many hundreds of dollars more and consequently, is made to be rented by the mom who needs it, rather than purchased.

But Whether or not using a hospital grade pump will change your pump output or change anything at this point is impossible to say. It might, it might not. But in order to bring back your milk production, if baby is not nursing, it is vital that you pump FREQUENTLY with a good, effective pump. Clearly, the pump you have now is not working at all. Have you been making sure no parts have worn out?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bsua65 View Post
    Have you considered a prescription galactagogue? PCOS can affect your milk supply and medications such as Reglan in the US and domperidone in the UK increase your prolactin levels; which can be an issue with PCOS. I currently take domperidone but this is not available in the US. Both have side effects you would need to discuss with your HCP.... But it may help!
    I have tried Reglan. I will NEVER do that again! That stuff is rat poison! I thought I was going to lose my mind.

Fair enough! I know the side effects are bad for some hence it needing discussion first