Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Monthly drops in supply but no period

Default Monthly drops in supply but no period

I have noticed a very interesting trend. Every so often I'd get a sudden drop in supply (literally overnight) that would last like 5-7 days. During those days I'd pump a lot less than normal during my pumping sessions at work and when I'm together with my baby and nurse him, the letdowns take forever to come. Sometimes my baby just becomes frustrated and doesn't have patience waiting so we'll try again later. In the beginning I'd try fenugreek and extra pumping and they didn't help much - it would only get better like a week later, regardless of whether I intervened with milk increasing tactics.

Whenever this would happen I'd vent about it to one of my breastfeeding friends so I just looked back at my email history and saw that this happened EVERY month! Seriously, like today I experienced another drop (I was extra-full yesterday, happens to be!) and I see in the history that this happened on May 8th too (and April 10th, March 13th, February 10th...). My baby is now almost 8 months old. This is really freaking me out because I do not have a period.

It's like I am getting period symptoms - sensitive nipples when nursing, drier than normal vaginal area, bloatedness, along with these sudden supply drops - but no period! Is this normal?

Does it pay to take a calcium/mag supplement to prevent these drops? Like do they really work?

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Default Re: Monthly drops in supply but no period

Even before your period returns, you're going to get hormonal fluctuations that are somewhat regular/cyclical/predictable.

A CaMg supplement won't hurt, and might help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Even before your period returns, you're going to get hormonal fluctuations that are somewhat regular/cyclical/predictable.

A CaMg supplement won't hurt, and might help!
    Ok. That sounds like it. I started taking a supplement now. It's just annoying because the dosage is two pills twice a day and it's hard enough remembering to take the minipill

Mom to Samuel J.

If you are taking the minipill, that could, in theory, also account for what you are experiencing. Absent menstruation is a potential side effect for some women using this particular form of contraception.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    If you are taking the minipill, that could, in theory, also account for what you are experiencing. Absent menstruation is a potential side effect for some women using this particular form of contraception.
    Wow, so you're saying that it could be I'd be having regular periods had I not been on the pill? But instead I just get everything else minus the bleeding...

Mom to Samuel J.

In theory, yes, you could be having regular periods if you weren't on the minipill. It's far more common for the opposite to occur on the minipill--i.e., breakthrough bleeding that mimics a period, but a small percentage of women do experience the opposite effect.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!