Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething, Info and Resources

Default Teething, Info and Resources

I think my 12 week old son might already be starting teething. As the drool begins to pool and he seems to be running a low grade temperature. He has started gnawing on his hands and fingers pretty aggressively, gagging himself occasionally.

Can any of you ladies share some advice and/or links to information and resources that I might find helpful.

Default Re: Teething, Info and Resources

The drooling and chewing can start pretty early, even if the teeth don't come through for months. I'm not sure there are a lot of resources about it -- the advice all pretty much comes down to "give them something cold to chew on". Here's what Kellymom has:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/teething/
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Anyone have any comments about using those mesh bag feeders/teethers?
    I was wondering about freezing some tiny ice cubes or even breast milk ice cubes to put in them.

He doesn't seem to be having pain (thank goodness) from teething but the drooling and chewing has definitely started. I got teeth very early and mom insists my first word was Orajel.

If you got teeth early, there's a good chance your children will, as well. IIRC, age of tooth eruption is very strongly heritable.

A mesh feeder with breastmilk ice cubes is a great idea, provided you have milk to spare. Don't offer ice cubes until 6 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We are still having some milk transfer issues and having to supplement (still about 3-5 oz per day average) but am am able to pump 6-7 oz per day on days when I can pump after most feedings so I Should be able to put a couple ounces into the tiny mini fridge ice tray.

Talking only tiny bits of ice since I don't think the small mesh or silicone mesh bags would hold anything near resembling a full size ice cube.

I'll hold off on regular ice then. But I do kinda wonder how much will actually get ingested during "teething chewing."