Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is return of AF imminent for me?

Default Is return of AF imminent for me?

A day after my son turned 3 months (June 5) I began having mild AF like cramps ( so for the last 3 days on and off). I've also noticed once or twice per day pinkish color when I wipe. Many questions: is this definitely the return of AF and about how long do I have before it comes full force? Is it coming back so soon because he started daycare June 2 and I'm having to pump during the day now? He is still only having breast milk and I am pumping at night if he sleeps for a lengthy time. Anything I can do at this point to keep AF away? How will this effect breastfeeding?
    Last edited by @llli*roeni; June 8th, 2014 at 01:29 PM.

Default Re: Is return of AF imminent for me?

What sort of contraception are you using? What you describe could be your period, it could not be your period but just a sign that your period is trying to return, or it could be a side-effect of hormonal contraception (light spotting/breakthrough bleeding is very common with hormonal BC).

The best way to keep your fertility away is to express milk frequently both day and night, with nursing generally being preferable to pumping because most babies will nurse far more often than most moms are able to pump. However, there are no guarantees and plenty of moms follow all the "rules" of breastfeeding and still get their fertility back within a few months of birth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am not using any birth control. I only pump if he sleeps for a long stretch at night and while he's at daycare. I just wonder how long this can go on before my period finally comes back. If this has happened to anyone else, how long did did this go on before the real deal finally occurred? Does my period coming back so early mean my milk won't be as strong anymore? It still isn't here btw

What does AF stand for by the way? I understand people mean the return of fertility and monthly cycles but I don't know what the initials AF actually stand for.

Anyway, I've read that some women might not get their periods back for 2-3 years if they breastfeed that long while others get them back at 6 weeks, (I think mine came back at 6 weeks at least sort of because I had another one at about 11 1/2 weeks as well, they were rather light but it seems as though I'm not one of the lucky ones that gets to avoid my period while breastfeeding.) I've heard many women describe a dip in supply around ovulation for a couple days but that doesn't necessarily mean all women experience this.

AF=Aunt Flo

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*roeni View Post
    AF=Aunt Flo
    thanks

I just wonder how long this can go on before my period finally comes back.
    A terrific question, one with no answer. The return of fertility is as individual as you are. On average, nursing moms get their periods back at around 15.5 months postpartum, but plenty of moms get their fertility back sooner and some go longer.

Does my period coming back so early mean my milk won't be as strong anymore?
    No, the return of fertility has no impact on the composition of your milk. The only thing it can do is cause a dip in supply around the time of your period. Moms who stay home with their babies need only nurse on demand and the baby's nursing will counteract the supply dip. Moms who are working may need to add in extra pump sessions in order to boost their supply back up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. The cramps have gone away and no other signs of AF in 2 days!

Well with no birth control...it could have been implanatation bleeding. I would POS if your breast start to feel tender....

Way too lazy for formula

Or maybe ovulation spotting? I had some pinkish a few days ago with cramping and I wonder if I might have ovulated. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.