Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply/Engorgement in One breast Only

Default Oversupply/Engorgement in One breast Only

I am currently breastfeeding exclusively and have noticed that my little one prefers the left breast, when he latches onto the right breast there is a bit of pain in the beginning but it goes away.

Over the last few days the left breast seems to be going into overdrive. I tried to do a "test" pump a few days ago and pumped on the left whilst I was feeding on the right. I haven't pumped since (only this morning to ease some discomfort) and wondering if this has caused the overproduction.

Have noticed that little one is gulping and gagging more, as well as a lot of reflux and a few good big vomits as well.

His feeds today have been at about 4:30am and again at 6:30ish and then 9ish and 11ish - I only fed on the right side all day until about 2 pm this afternoon when I fed on the left side with a laid back position to try ease the flow. Then topped him up on the right at about 3. I have not been timing his feeds at all and have not been very good at keeping track of which breast I fed on last and starting again with the same breast - have usually been feeding him from the fuller breast.

I have been easing the fullness of my breast with a hot facecloth and massaging the milk out.

RIGHT ONTO THE QUESTIONS:
    1:Should I be block feeding on the right side only - will this reduce milk production on the left?

2: How long should I block feed for on the right? And then should I block feed on the left - or feed only once on left to ease up fullness and then start block feeding again on right for a few hours.

3: How long/much milk should I massage out to ease discomfort without my breast going into production mode.

4: With block feeding my right breast is so deflated and empty - will he still be getting enough milk from it in one feed?

I think that is about it for now...hoping this boob will calm down a bit!

Default Re: Oversupply/Engorgement in One breast Only

1:Should I be block feeding on the right side only - will this reduce milk production on the left?
    Actually I am not sure what blocking one side would do to the other. Presumably, if you are blocking only the right, baby is nursing much more often on the left? So that (encouraging baby to nurse more on the left, not necessarily block feeding) would probably cause better production on the left I guess?? But block nursing on the right certainly WILL reduce production on the right, and without more info I am not sure that is desirable.
    2: How long should I block feed for on the right? And then should I block feed on the left - or feed only once on left to ease up fullness and then start block feeding again on right for a few hours.
    When block nursing, it is important to go mostly by how you FEEL not by time. For block nursing to work, (for milk production to reduce) the breast you are blocking must feel full for a period of time. But you do NOT want to get engorged. So sometimes it is important to hand express a little or even letting baby nurse a little even while 'blocking' one side. But again, I am not even sure block nursing is indicated.

3: How long/much milk should I massage out to ease discomfort without my breast going into production mode.
    again, you go by how it feels not by how much you express. Enough to FEEL relief. Breast storage capacity varies from mom to mom, so there is no way to know how much expressed milk would or would not send the breast into 'production mode."

4: With block feeding my right breast is so deflated and empty - will he still be getting enough milk from it in one feed?
    ??? Are you already block nursing? Both sides or one? I am confused. If your formally overfull breast now feels deflated, it is definitely time to stop block nursing or adjust what you are doing. Of course, depending on age of baby and frequency of nursing, it is normal for the breast to no longer feel as full or to even feel 'empty' and yes, in that case, it is still making milk.

I am going to suggest I doubt overproduction was caused by pumping one time. If you have a very full breast, that could be due to overproduction because baby is nursing so much more on that side. BUT, overfullness could also be caused by a poor latch, or a plug, or baby not nursing often enough overall... Block nursing is mostly ONLY for confirmed overproduction. It WILL reduce milk production. So it is important to be very careful with it.

IN your case, since you have one side that is full and the other not, I would suggest that could be addressed by encouraging baby to nurse on the less full side as much as baby will, for example, you could try to encourage baby always 'starting' on that side. This would result in less stimulation for the full breast and more for the other, without the block feeding issues. Also, be very careful about getting baby latched on well to the very full side-reverse pressure softening may help baby get a better latch if the breast is overfull. Also, encouraging very frequent nursing overall is very helpful for reducing a fast flow as well as keeping breast from getting painfully full. Leaning back when nursing (so baby is more on top of you) can also help slow down the flow.

Please read the following carefully prior to block nursing: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...dos-donts.html

here is good info on engorgement and RPS: http://www.llli.org/faq/engorgement.html

This article has other tips for helping baby handle a fast flow: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 8th, 2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: EA

Default Re: Oversupply/Engorgement in One breast Only

with LLLMeg!