Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lip/tongue tie fixed. Still pain

Default Lip/tongue tie fixed. Still pain

We just had my 7 week old sons lip and tongue tie fixed yesterday. My nipples are still getting big creases and it is painful to nurse. The doctor said he needs to work on a deep latch obviously. He showed me how to stick my finger in his mouth to check his suckle then nurse. He seems to be fine when checking with finger. I try to position well, sandwich boob into his mouth, make sure lips are flanged I don't know what we are doing wrong. I have sen a LC a couple of times and she always said we were doing fine and latch looked good! Any tips ??
    Last edited by @llli*alyssia712; June 7th, 2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Default Re: Lip/tongue tie fixed. Still pain

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssia712 View Post
    We just had my 7 week old sons lip and tongue tie fixed yesterday. My nipples are still getting big creases and it is painful to nurse. The doctor said he needs to work on a deep latch obviously. He showed me how to stick my finger in his mouth to check his suckle then nurse. He seems to be fine when checking with finger. I try to position well, sandwich boob into his mouth, make sure lips are flanged I don't know what we are doing wrong. I have sen a LC a couple of times and she always said we were doing fine and latch looked good! Any tips ??
    He had 7 weeks to learn to nurse with the tongue/lip ties so it could take a little while for him to re-learn to use those muscles differently. (when the procedures get done in the first week or so I hear the results can be almost instant but when done later, it is not so dramatic the change.) My baby got his done by laser at 8 weeks and I still have problems with painful latch and creasing on my Rt sometimes 3 weeks later (seems to depend on his mood and time of day how co-operative he will be about taking a deeper latch.)

Be sure to do the stretching that is recommended for after the lip and tongue tie procedures to make sure they don't re-attach and that they heal stretched out instead of tight, do the stretches often including at least once overnight.

If it is an option, you might see if you can get him to see an occupational therapist that specializes in breastfeeding/swallowing issues with babies. I'm still trying to figure out how to manage that for me and my babe. Keeping my supply up with the poor latching/sucking has been a challenge.

You might not be doing anything wrong. Tiny babies have tiny mouths and they can have difficult latches even when there's no tongue/lip tie. Time is likely to solve the problem- bigger baby = bigger mouth = deeper latch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO is 3 weeks old and wad told he has a very slight tongue tie. I haven't had it clipped- still on the fence about it. I decided to get a nipple sheild, because my nipples were pretty much bleeding from him sucking so hard. Let me tell you they have worked wonders! He is still able to latch well and I can nurse pretty much pain free now! It took a couple of tries for him to get used to it, but without them, I think I would have given up from the pain alone! Hope this helps

After my ds had his tongue clipped it took about a week to feel a difference - worth the wait - now i have no pain, and before it was awful

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monicaalew View Post
    My LO is 3 weeks old and wad told he has a very slight tongue tie. I haven't had it clipped- still on the fence about it. I decided to get a nipple sheild, because my nipples were pretty much bleeding from him sucking so hard. Let me tell you they have worked wonders! He is still able to latch well and I can nurse pretty much pain free now! It took a couple of tries for him to get used to it, but without them, I think I would have given up from the pain alone! Hope this helps
    Nipple shields should be looked at as a temporary fix just until the real problem can be addressed since long term use of shields can impede milk transfer and reduce supply. I recommend getting tongue ties dealt with as early as possible since the longer they are left in place the more physical therapy may be needed to re-train muscles to work right after in order to correct latching problems.