Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Feeding and slow weight gain 12 week old

Default Night Feeding and slow weight gain 12 week old

I have a 12 week old with a history of poor or marginal weight gain.
    During the past week we have missed the 2 am feeding several times, alarm not getting me out of bed and baby not fussing at all to provide the motivation. I dream feed him at around 11 pm and then I usually get up and feed him again at 5 am (which he often doesn't really wake up for either.) The 2 am feeding I have sometimes done in bed and other times get up to feed since he usually doesn't seem to transfer milk as well when we are both basically asleep and I'm not doing breast compressions.

I'm wondering if instead of trying to stick with waking up to feed at 3 hr intervals (which seems to be getting the better of me finally with me sleeping through the middle alarm) maybe I should adjust the schedule to 4 hrs.

I'd like to switch to just demand feeding at some point but with his marginal weight gain, and the fact that he will often sleep long stretches without waking to demand food, that the demand feeding needs to be left for daytime hours.

Part of the problem may be that I usually supplement the most during the evening cluster feedings before bed. I don't have that large a storage capacity so if I were not supplementing he may not be able to fill up enough to go as long between feedings.

He is only just hovering above 11 lb now.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions about how worried I should be about letting him sleep longer stretches at night in light of his age/size and history of poor weight gain. Should I be setting extra alarms to get me up for the middle feeding? Or do I modify the schedule to 4 hours instead of three so hopefully I get enough rest to not be as likely to sleep through alarms? Or stop my worrying and figure babe will wake me up if he is really hungry.

(Part of my exhaustion is I am still trying to pump after most feedings so that I can have Breast Milk to use for the supplementing since babe is still a bit poor at milk transfer at times. Supplementing is usually via SNS and usually only 3-5 oz per day of supplement total.)

Default Re: Night Feeding and slow weight gain 12 week old

If it were me, I'd adjust the schedule to every 4 hours at night. I know you've been struggling with your baby's gain and your supply, but I also think you need a bit of a break!

Default Re: Night Feeding and slow weight gain 12 week old

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If it were me, I'd adjust the schedule to every 4 hours at night. I know you've been struggling with your baby's gain and your supply, but I also think you need a bit of a break!
    My supply is certainly up to what baby needs because I can consistently pump more than we supplement (provided I'm able to pump after most feedings, days with trips or appointments often interferes with that.)

I think switching to feeding around 8 pm before going to bed then feeding at Midnight and again at 4 am may give me a bit more sleep and still get enough nutrition into babe. I'm on my own this week again with DH going off to work another traveling job so I'll bring all the pillows in to bed to be able to do layed back nursing in bed for the middle of the night feeding. Side lying works to nurse babe to sleep but doesn't seem to get much milk into him and bothers my back if we do it for too long. We seem to be able to nurse and sleep more with him on top of me I just need a timer or something to wake me up to switch sides at some point.