Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Mucus poop

Default Green Mucus poop

My son is 15 weeks old. I work three 12 hour shifts per week, so he does consume pumped milk three days per week. He feeds at breast during the rest of the week. He weighs 12 lbs. He intermittently has green colored stools with noticable mucus. Today there was a large amount of thick long mucus in his diapers, some green within the mustard colored stool. I called the pediatrician's office. The nurse is not concerned. She had nothing to add. He seemed irritated with my breast today. He made almost a grunting or growling sound at my breast at his feeds. He has been popping off my left breast, almost refusing it entirely at his feeds. This breast is twice the size as the other, as it was his favorite until this point. It produces almost three times the amount of the right breast.

??What is the mucus
    ??Why is he "popping" off my breast constantly.

Default Re: Green Mucus poop

It seems we have all of the symptoms that apply to fast let down. He started clamping down this week, started spitting up...all of them. His gas is out of control. I thought I wasn't making enough because he has been irritated at the breast, yelling at it, and some days almost refusing to eat. One day I just pumped and bottle fed. So I went on an intense fiber diet trying to increase my supply. As it seems, I am probably making to much. I just nursed him, and pumped off another feed after (which probably contains the portion he needs!).

I feel two let downs when I feed. That's when he gets fussy, is when that second comes.

Thanks for the reply!

What are you going to do about it, mama? FFLD is a problem, and a lot of moms think that they have jump right into block feeding in order to fix things. But it's possible to go too far with block feeding, so if you do choose this approach please be careful with it.

Have you tried reclined feedings?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. Block nursing reduces production, But FFLD can happen even if production is normal & not overabundant. Try all the other ideas in the article for helping baby handle the flow, and try not to pump when with baby. Just nurse as much as you can when with baby.

Could the high fiber diet be part of the issue I wonder? With the mucous poop I mean.

I am not sure what to do. In nursing him today, I have noticed he is uncomfortable with the traditional position, football not much better. He prefers sidelying. The block nursing makes me nervous. I don't want to reduce my supply. I don't think supply is the issue. He has been weight checked a lot. He has been in the 1%tile for his weight and height. He was a very sleepy baby with no drive to nurse for the first two months. I was on lasix (a diuretic) and had some other health issues early on that may have contributed to my milk issues. We had a very rough start.

Also, he nurses ALL NIGHT sidelying, and has no issues when doing so, so maybe I should just do that during the day too.

I read there is a possibility of dietary issues. I don't think that is the case. I have only added more fiberous vegetables and more oatmeal. I am very lactose and gluten intolerant since birth so it wouldn't be that. I use Almond milk, no cheese, no milk.

Sidelying is often really good for babies who are struggling with rapid letdowns, because gravity is working against the milk flow. If he's happy side lying, use that!

If your baby has been slow to gain weight, definitely avoid block feeding. Block feeding a designed to reduce supply, and when baby is slow to gain that is something you don't want.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No reason to not side lie, except hard to do in some circumstances!

This age (3-4 months) is notorious for general behavior changes, fussiness, baby nursing 'weird,' baby's nursing patterns changing, etc. So the fussiness you are seeing may be totally unrelated to the poop.

Have you experimented with laid back nursing? (aka biological nurturing) Really, there are many ways to position a baby to nurse, there really is not a wrong way...if it feels comfortable to you, and baby is getting milk, you can nurse with you and baby in any position(s) you can imagine. and baby's preferred positioning may change many times.

There truly does not sound like there is a reason to block nurse in your case. Even many moms with clear overproduction handle it without block nursing. So since it makes you nervous, you can simply forget about doing that. It's not needed and could cause issues, so, no reason to do it.

I think he might have thrush! When we were outside yesterday, he stuck out his tongue and the back half is all white. I'm sure this is part of our fussiness. This is my third breastfed baby, but the other two never had thrush. He doesn't fuss when he feeds from a pumped bottle though. So maybe a combination of factors.

I really watched my let down yesterday. It seems to all be let down related. He chokes and coughs and squeals when it comes down. So I had him wait it out, then re latch in a more upright position. It worked a little better.