Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: want to make it to two

Default want to make it to two

My baby just turned one! !! Question for you btdt moms. I really want to continue breastfeeding until baby is two. What does that generally look like? Reason I ask is that I work full time and he used to eat quite a lot at night. Now he is so active that it is challenging to get him to nurse in the evenings and he has been sleeping more and asking for boob less at night. This is the child that pretty much slept latched on for the first nine months and then still continued to stir and nurse a lot until recently. Should I be concerned? Im waking up very full. I was envisioning being able to cut back pumping and still night nurse a lot but he is still eating the same amount of milk during the day. I'm so afraid he will wean too soon!

Also do you still limit water at this stage? The ped said no but they aren't super great with bf. He loves water but we also live in 100+ weather and if he's anything like me needs lots of fluids.

History: tongue tie lip tie, gerd, cow milk protein allergy and suspected nut and corn allergies

Default Re: want to make it to two

Congrats to making it to a year, that's wonderful!

I work full-time also and did pump wean at a year (although I had a lot of milk in the freezer so LO continued to get EBM for a while during the day). Now we're at 2 years and 3 months. I think the key to avoiding weaning is just to be proactive about offering at times when baby is distracted. My toddler has gone through stages where she's very enthusiastic about nursing all the time and other phases of being distracted at times. During the distracted times I just made sure to keep offering at moments when she seemed a little less distracted. As an example, if my older kids are jumping around at the time I get home and LO gets swept into the excitement and isn't interested at nursing at that particular moment, then I try again after ten or 15 minutes when the excitement has calmed down. (Mostly though she usually demands to nurse the minute I get home, so it isn't usually an issue).

In terms of baby sleeping more at night and nursing less, of course that may change too (molars, developmental leaps etc) - or it may not! Have you started pump weaning yet? I know you were thinking about dropping the fourth pump a month or so ago - have you done that already? I think the key is just to go slowly with the pump weaning, that way you don't set yourself up for engorgement/plugged ducts/mastitis etc and make sure your supply regulates in a more gradual manner. I suppose one option would be to pump in the morning when you are feeling full, if you don't have your hands full with LO and getting ready, and that may save you a workday pump while still providing some EBM during the day. How is baby doing with solids? Again I think it's a gradual transition away from bottles of EBM during the day and toward a more solids-based diet, so the idea is to try to mirror that with your pump weaning, especially since cow's milk is not an option in your case. You could encourage daycare to do solids before bottle to help with that transition. As you do this you can try to have him drink water with his solids to satisfy his thirst needs, or during the day while you're at work, but encourage nursing when you're together to maintain your nursing relationship, again depending on the situation.

Basically there's a lot more flexibility after age one - which also makes nursing more fun, in my opinion!

Default Re: want to make it to two

Congrats on a year of nursing!

In response to your question, I don't know that there is a "typical" breastfed child. Some, like mine (now 2y7mo), are very slow to solids and are lactivores to a fault! DS only really started eating more than a single meal each day about 2 months ago, and I'd guess he still nurses about 8 times over a 24-hour period. Cosleeping has ensured he's had access to my milk when he needs it at night. Of the nursing sessions he's dropped (from easily 12+/day a few months ago), I'd estimate only one is at night. So I suppose my advice would be to offer often and cosleep to facilitate night nursing if your LO needs it.