Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poop issues

Question poop issues

My son is 5 weeks old and in the beginning his poops were normal, then they became green and foamy and i realized it was because i wasn't letting him nurse long enough on a side and as soon as i fixed that they became yellow and seedy but that lasted only a day or two before they became more liquid and mucusy. For the past 10 days or so its been this way. It took me a while to decide that it really was mucus and I have called my ped but haven't heard back yet.

He is otherwise a good baby, eats plenty and sleeps great. he has his fussy moments but that's resolved if i feed him or hold him nothing that resembles colic. He doesn't have a rash or anything. He's a little gassy but not in pain...he farts and is fine. He occasionally spits up but only a little bit at a time and nothing with a pattern.

From lots of internet searching it seems that the poop could be a virus, a food intolerance or nothing to be concerned with.

The first few weeks i ate dairy all the time when his poops were fine...are there other foods to think about I know that dairy is the most common but it also only bothers like 2% of infants...

Anyone have what could be diarrhea and it was nothing?

Default Re: poop issues

My baby has some poops that are green, some that are yellow, some that are dark yellow, some are seedy, some are foamy. She is growing well, happy, eats like a champ. I don't worry about it. It probably reflects some variation in my diet but since she seems fine I don't worry about it.

When folks say 'green can be normal" it really is true. That is why green poop alone is almost never something to be concerned about. when the green poop is combined with other issues (blood in stool, baby in pain, extraordinarily fussy or clearly ill, baby refusing to nurse or becoming upset at the breast, poor gain or weight loss) in that case, poop look might help you figure out what the issue is. But the poop itself is not an issue.

according to this doctor, diarrhea in an exclusively breastfed baby is indicated by frequent watery stools that may be green. Watery means REALLY watery. That is why I think the accompanying picture is misleading, if this was a watery poop, the water has clearly been absorbed by the diaper. After all, all babies have liquid poops, they are on a liquid diet, and it is entirely normal for a 5 weeks old to poop lots-even every feeding. http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

And even if a baby has diarrhea, the very best thing for that is for baby to consume only mom's breastmilk and lots of it.

Assuming baby is gaining normally, it is usually fine to let baby nurse as frequently as baby wants, (as long as it is no less than 8-10 times each 24 hours) on whatever side baby wants, for as long as baby wants on each side. No need to switch sides each feeding, but it's ok to do so if baby wishes.

Sorry - his poop is no longer green. It us now a dark yellow brown that is slimy and mucusy. He's only pooping 1 a day or every other day and filling up the diaper. I m not worried about the frequency just the consistency with the mucus.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    When folks say 'green can be normal" it really is true. That is why green poop alone is almost never something to be concerned about. when the green poop is combined with other issues (blood in stool, baby in pain, extraordinarily fussy or clearly ill, baby refusing to nurse or becoming upset at the breast, poor gain or weight loss) in that case, poop look might help you figure out what the issue is. But the poop itself is not an issue.
    x 1000!

If your baby is otherwise happy, healthy, and gaining weight normally, I wouldn't worry about his poop. Brown green/mustardy/explosive/bubbly/foamy/watery/thick- that's all part of the normal spectrum.