Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fast Flow/full breasts

Default Fast Flow/full breasts

Hi ladies,

I recently had some issues with my daughter being really fussy at the breasts and constantly unlatching. After posting on here and speaking with numerous consultants I found out I have a fast flow. Its nice to have an answer to the issues even though they were not huge issues. I've been trying sitting back while bf and that seems to help but she still eats really often during the day and at night eats about every 2-3hrs which often results in me having one or two huge breasts in the morning that I know are going to spray everywhere when she eats. Any tips on dealing with the full breasts in the morning?

Also, this morning I pumped the full one and fed her on the least full and it looks like I pumped 3oz of foremilk..should I keep this and freeze it? I'm pretty sure its foremilk because its been sitting for about 3hrs and has not seperated. Also, its very white and slightly watery. I guess I hadn't reached the hindmilk yet but I'm wondering if I should even keep this if its only foremilk.

Default Re: Fast Flow/full breasts

There's no such thing as "only foremilk". All your milk contains everything your baby needs to grow and thrive. All the fat, all the protein, all the carbohydrates, all the micronutrients. A baby will grow well on the so-called foremilk alone, provided she gets enough of it.

When the breast is really full- like at the beginning of a feeding- the milk will be relatively watery, high in carbohydrates, and relatively low in fat. As the breast empties, the milk will become progressively more creamy. The bottle you have was clearly from a full breast, but it's not skim milk or bad milk. Save it and feel free to use it!

Is there a reason why you're pumping at this point? Do you need to return to work soon? The reason I ask is that when a mom has overproduction and fast letdowns, she wants to avoid any extra stimulation to the breast via the pump. It's a recipe for perpetuating or even worsening the problem.

I pumped this morning because one was really full and I didn't want her to deal with a super fast flow. I have pumped in the past to store a little bit for when I introduce bottles.

but she still eats really often during the day and at night eats about every 2-3hrs which often results in me having one or two huge breasts in the morning that I know are going to spray everywhere when she eats. Any tips on dealing with the full breasts in the morning?
    How old is baby now? about a month? When you are full, is this after only 2-3 hours of no nursing? Or a longer period? It is pretty typical to feel really full in the morning for a few reasons, but usually because the morning nursing session comes after the longest stretch of no nursing (or a long stretch where baby perhaps nursed but not all that much due to being asleep/sleepy.)

If you are waking very full, I suggest hand expression to soften the breasts, and (if needed) Reverse Pressure Softening to help baby get a better latch. If pumping is working, that is ok, but can be problematic due to pumping too much being a factor in increasing milk production, possibly too much. Also, pumps tend to pull fluid into the areola, causing more of a fullness issue and possibly latch issues. Plus I think pumping is a pain, especially first thing in the morning when it is so much nicer to just cuddle with baby and nurse. Especially If your milk easily sprays, you are likely to find hand expression pretty easy.

I have had overproduction, engorged/heavy/really full breasts and forceful letdown with my three kids when they were infants, and every time what helped the most was to nurse often. Really frequently, typically about every hour or two when we were awake and every 2-3 hours overnight. and usually, one side at a time. Typical nursing frequency for the first month or two is 10-15 times each 24 hour day.

Baby nursing frequently does not result in overproduction, because (assuming there is good production) a baby is not going to take in more (or at least, not much more) due to nursing more often. Baby is going to take in what baby needs overall. So more frequent feedings typically result in smaller feedings that are usually easier on the tummy. Also, what the frequent nursing does is make sure that milk does not build up for a long time in the breast (worsening FFLD and any 'possible 'too much' foremilk issues)

hand expression http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Yeah she's about a month old, I pumped also because I figured it was the quickest way to soften them and also catch the milk but I can see how that would be problematic. Her eating schedule is just how you say, every hr or so during the day and 2-3hrs at night. She eats very little at some sessions resulting in her being completely up for a lot of the day. Will this ever change?

When I introduce bottles, do you ladies think I should start with a fast flow bottle since my flow is fast? I plan to introduce at 6wks just to let daddy feed her a little and I get a break for at least once a day. I'm still debating on introducing bottles though because I'm in love with bf and I would hate for her to prefer bottle.

She eats very little at some sessions resulting in her being completely up for a lot of the day. Will this ever change?
    ?? I would suggest that short & frequent nursing sessions are not the cause of baby being up, or at least not in some unusual or not normal amount. Baby's eat for the same reason older kids and adults eat,-in order to live, to move, and to grow. Not in order to sleep, although of course many babies nurse TO sleep as nursing is so comforting. But they are normally not going to stay asleep for long.

At this point, of course, baby is needing to grow very very fast (about as fast as baby grew the last few weeks in the womb when baby was fed literally constantly) with a very very tiny tummy. So baby has to take in an lots of food but in very small amounts at a time, and yes, how much each time will vary. This is why a newborn nurses frequently. It is necessary. So not only is breastmilk the appropriate food for a baby, Breastfeeding is designed to work appropriately with the needs of the child at whatever developmental state they are at.

As far as if this will change, nursing patterns DO, certainly, change overtime. Sleep patterns also change. But it is not typically in a linear line of less and less nursing and longer and longer sleep. Since you enjoy breastfeeding, I suggest it helps to relax and go with the flow and let baby show you what your baby needs. As long as baby is growing normally (and of course, growth patterns normally vary) and as long as you are sure baby is nursing frequently enough, there is usually no reason to worry about how often baby nurses or how long baby sleeps at a time.
    When I introduce bottles, do you ladies think I should start with a fast flow bottle since my flow is fast? I plan to introduce at 6wks just to let daddy feed her a little and I get a break for at least once a day.
    When starting with a bottle, I would suggest definitely start with a slow flow nipple and use paced bottle feeding technique. Together, these things keep bottles as similar to breastfeeding as possible. I would suggest that it is helpful to remember that the way milk comes out of a bottle is NOTHING like the way it comes out of the breast, manufacturers claims to the contrary. So while it seems logical, there is actually no real comparison between a fast flow bottle nipple and a the experience of overactive letdown from the breast. The general recommendation is that Bottles must be given with great care so that baby does not get used to milk simply dripping down baby's throat with little or no effort from baby. This is what causes 'flow confusion." Even slow flow nipples drip, which is why paced bottle feeding positioning and pauses as described in link & video linked below are also needed.

I'm still debating on introducing bottles though because I'm in love with bf and I would hate for her to prefer bottle
    Bottles can cause mischief even if they are introduced later and only given once a day. Also, they often do not really result in less work for mom as mom then almost always needs to add in pumping, for her own comfort even if there is stored milk.
    This is not to say absolutely do not introduce a bottle for dad to give, that does work out nicely for some families. Just be sure to have the safeguards in place I mention above. However, I would like to point out there are many ways you can get a break and dad get special time with baby without bottles. Here are some ideas: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf

paced bottle description: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FD00534CAAC56E