Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow weight gain in 7 mos old. Panicking!

Default Re: Slow weight gain in 7 mos old. Panicking!

http://drghaheri.squarespace.com/resources/
    Here's a good site to start your research into tongue/lip tie. Definitely get hands on help for positioning.

I feel like our latch has gotten significantly worse since the thrush. It's never been great, but I could nurse without wishing for it to end and wanting to just pull her off and get a bottle. I think the thrush is cleared. She hasn't had any white in her mouth in probably 2 weeks. My nipples have continued to be sore, but I really can't differentiate between thrush and just beat up sore nipples.

We nurse only in the football hold. It's the only way I've ever been able to nurse her without extreme pain (her latch is way shallower if I try cradle). (excpet at night, then we nurse lying in bed. and sometimes in the morning I lay her on top of my stomach and let her control the nursing, but she wants her head laid down side ways so this gets difficult).
    She will only nurse on my right side and insists on having her head turned sideways. I try to turn her head straight but she turns it right back to the side and if I try to hold it there she pulls off. She also pulls her head back away from my boob and grabs my boob and pulls it away from her mouth. It doesn't seem to matter how hard I try to get more of my boob in her mouth she just pulls it back out. At this point I feel like she's too strong and too stubborn to allow me to trick her into a better latch. lol. but maybe there is some trick.

When I take my boob out of her mouth it is creased. Sometimes like lipstick. I also have blanching / vasodialation (I have renauds syndrome so I assumed that the blanching was because of this all of this time). I don't have any cracks or blisters. I've never had mastitis or a plugged duct (as far as I know). There have been times where I don't have really much pain at all. Just discomfort when she is nursing for a long time. But since I've learned this it's been so much worse. Possibly because I'm trying to keep her at breast longer and more often so I'm getting chewed and rubbed raw.

I'm so glad I breastfeed and I want to do this for my baby.. but I kind of hate it. It's just so hard. 7mos in things are supposed to be a cake walk.

I contacted the local dr that is recommended for lip tie and tongue tie. I haven't talked to her yet but sent her my info. I've also joined the tongue tie facebook group. Hopefully this will be getting better soon.

I just want to say well done for still breastfeeding! We had issues for the first 4-5 months which thankfully were sorted after some time with a good IBCLC and some osteopathy. I know you've struggled longer than that and it really is a great and amazing thing that you are hanging on in there!

I agree with the PP's about being reevaluated for lip/tongue tie and latch... But it sounds like you are on it Hang on in there and hopefully with the right input nursing can be successful and pain free for you!

I just wanted to say thank you for your help. I took my daughter in for her tongue tie and lip tie procedure today. The dr said her tongue tie was very thick and extended about halfway down her tongue. So far her latch doesn't really feel any better (possibly worse) but it is different so hopefully it's a step in the right direction. Plus it hasn't even been 24 hours. I might hit up a LLL meeting this week, though I have been quite intimidated by them. The Dr I saw had a lactation consultant on site and we have a follow up on Monday so maybe she can help me out then if things don't improve. I also found an article on suck training so I think I'll start working on that tomorrow and see if that doesn't help.

Am glad the tie was found and corrected!

Her feeding may not change instantly; she's been unable to move that tongue her entire life until now and so she needs to just explore how it now works!

It may be worth doing some things to improve her latch like breast sandwich, flipple and breast compression. The tongue walk can help her see that her tongue works different now... But I would only start these if her latch continues to be poor, give her a chance to adjust by herself first!

In fact on a second read you have a follow up with an LC so she should help you with anything like this if you need it; am so glad you are finally getting the help you need!

Well done for hanging in there so long!
    Last edited by @llli*bsua65; June 24th, 2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Noticed something else

Yes, well done! And I am so glad the doc found and corrected the tie. Be patient with your LO- as the PP said, it's going to take time for your baby to figure out the new freedom in her tongue.

Please don't be afraid to go to a LLL meeting! Everyone there is or has been in the same boat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'll mention though that you might not want to wait too long to see if she improves on her own since if you do need to find some physical therapy for her, that can take several weeks to have much effect since as noted, she has had months to learn to use muscles differently to compensate for the tongue tie so it will take some time to stretch, strengthen and re-train muscles.
    I actually found a speech therapist with experience in infant feeding difficulties and we are meeting twice a week and I'm getting more excersizes each week to do 5 times a day with him. Latch and milk transfer are still not perfect but she did say it would probably be three weeks before I can expect to see marked improvement. That said, I have seen some improvement after only a week and a half.

I am actually pretty impressed to see how much she is moving her tongue around today. I am sure she is uncomfortable and she has quite the learning curve ahead of her. The lactation consultant in office suggested that I needed to start over with her as if I had never breastfed before. Trying to teach her good latch. She is not so keen on learning as of yet. lol. Quite set in her ways. We will forge on though and hopefully it will just click.
    I am lucky that I'm not in extreme pain, and she is still gaining (albeit, much slower than I'd like to see). So we aren't in an emergency situation. She also hasn't had any of the issues like choking, high gag reflux, issues swallowing solids, reflux, or speech delays (ok, she's not even 8 mos so there's no real speech, but she says dadadadadee like a boss and has for some time lol) And.... she hasn't really been crying with the stretches, which totally shocked me! Very happy about that. Hoping that this continues on positively!!
    Thank you again ladies!

Definitely be proactive about doing the stretches like under the tongue and stuff for the three weeks after the correction to make sure there is no re-attachment.

Speech therapy isn't always about speech, oral motor skills also affect airway protection, swallowing, tongue movement, eating etc.
    I mainly bring up the option of seeing a speech therapist in case you have trouble finding a lactation consultant with experience in suck re-training. There may also be other types of physical therapy practices that may also know/understand working with infants and breastfeeding issues especially after tongue tie/lip tie correction.

I had read web pages that sort of described doing the tongue walk and other things but they didn't help me all that much. Seeing the therapist and getting hands on demonstrations of the stretches and exercises has really helped me. Also the therapist is able to tell by feel and look which muscles are in need of stretching or strengthening and target the stretches and exercises to gain the best and most balanced improvement.

My pediatrician wasn't any help finding me assistance for our problems but once I found the therapist, they were willing to write the referral.

Does your insurance cover the therapy? I completely understand what you mean by the suck training. I have tried to do it with her and it isn't working. I don't really know what I'm doing and she just keeps biting my finger. Not productive and just making her mad. There is a local IBCLC that I saw with my first daughter and I wasn't impressed. It was expensive. She never checked for tongue tie / lip tie (even though she is suggested by local people because she's knowledgeable on he subject) overall my experience wasn't positive so I'd like to go a different route this time if needed.