Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply?

Default Low supply?

How can I tell if my supply is adequate? My baby is six months old eats on demand but recently became distractable so has been leafing less frequently. She seams to have enough diapers but I just feel empty all the time. Last night she slept from 6:30pm-4am and I did not even feel the slightest bit of fullness. She usually nurses at night. Please help I am scared she is not getting enough to eat and that my supply is drying up.

Default Re: Low supply?

She also eats solids twice per day

Welcome to the forum!

The best way to know if an older baby is getting enough is to watch her diapers. Pee output is more informative than poop output because many babies aren't pooping every day by 6 months- though if your LO does poop every day, that's an indication of good intake. Don't be surprised if you see long stretches of dry diapers. At 6 months, many babies have discovered that they can hold their urine and this avoid the discomfort of a squishy diaper.

Feeling empty means next to nothing. By 6 months, most moms have a milk supply which is closely match to their babies' demand, and that means that they will rarely if ever feel full.

What have you tried to combat the distractibility?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have tried nursing necklaces, nursing in a dark quiet room etc...she seems to be getting better but I am afraid supply has suffered. I just feel deflated and defeated

I shouldn't even feel full after going almost 10 hours last night? That was accidental she usually nurses one or twice at night.

How is her weight gain?
    If you are feeling really insecure you could have an appointment with an LC and do a weigh/feed/weigh to see how much she gets during a feeding to help reassure you.

She has always gained plenty. 7 lbs 8 oz at birth, 19 lbs 7.5 oz at 6 mo check up! My LC thinks she's fine, I just am concerned because I feel so empty and she doesn't seen overly satisfied. My breasts are even smaller than they were just feels like I am drying up.

Can you just spontaneously dry up?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momager View Post
    Can you just spontaneously dry up?
    A growth spurt could make you feel like baby is not satisfied by nursing, answer would be to nurse more and let baby bring your supply up.

Of course,
    There are things that can reduce supply, like hormonal birth control, or Pregnancy.
    Certain foods or herbs can reduce milk supply as well.
    And nursing less or less frequently can also cause milk supply to dwindle. Baby getting supplements, bottles or eating solids before nursing too.

You could try a nursing vacation to help boost supply.