Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Give what I pump?

Default Give what I pump?

I think I've got my OALD/OS under control. I started back to work today (and miraculously DD took bottles at daycare despite fighting them with us!). I only put 2 ounces in today because I didn't want them tossed when she refused the bottle (which didn't happen!). Daycare said it seemed like not quite enough and she wanted to eat more about an hour and 45 minutes later. Based on DD and my supply, I agree.

I was thinking I would give four bottles of 3 ounces tomorrow, for her to have 2-3 hours apart. However, I pumped 3 times today and ended up with 15 ounces, which is an extra 3 ounces. Should I throw that in the freezer or add to her bottles?

She only nurses on one side, so that makes it even more confusing to me since I'm pumping both sides.

I don't want her to get used to too much and then have my supply drop.

I'm also not sure if I should pump 4 times (to match 4 bottles), or wait and see how my supply is throughout the weeks. With my first baby, I struggled with low supply, so I don't want that again!

Thanks!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Give what I pump?

Put the extra in the freezer. How long is your separation from baby? For a typical 9 or 10 hour workday separation 12 oz would be just right. The rule of thumb is 1 - 1.5 oz per hour, but if you can keep that on the lower side, that makes it easier to keep up with, and ensures that baby isn't getting overfed at daycare, decreasing motivation to nurse when you are together. It's also great that your bottle size is not too big - baby's typical meal at the breast is 2 or 3 oz usually, so staying in that range is a good idea, maybe with 1 oz frozen "toppers" that can be thawed as needed if baby is especially hungry (growth spurt, etc).

In terms of how often to pump, 3 times would be typical or a usual workday, some moms need more, others less. Since you are currently pumping both sides but usually nursing off of only one, you are probably okay continuing with 3 pumping sessions for now, especially if you continue to pump more than baby is drinking, and since OALD and OS have been an issue. Of course if you notice that your pump output is dropping off or you are struggling to keep up, then you should add that fourth session in. Your baby is still pretty young so your oversupply may yet regulate (ie decrease), so just keep an eye out for that.

That's great that baby took the bottles at daycare!

Thanks so much!!! Yep, about a 9 hour separation, so I will stick with the 12 ounces. I'm excited that 3 pump sessions might be enough - I hope that will continue to produce enough. I was having to do it 5 times with my first baby!
    ~ Megan

I'm glad I didn't give the extra today, because she only ate 2.5 ounces at a time, for a total of 10 ounces (with 2 ounces down the drain, sigh). And I miscalculated yesterday - I pumped 5 ounces extra yesterday (and today)! I guess I need to go buy freezer bags!
    ~ Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    (with 2 ounces down the drain, sigh).
    Whoa, what happened there? Daycare knows this milk is precious, right?? Freezer bags is good though! Do you know about how to keep your stash fresh? If you work Monday to Friday, freeze Friday, thaw the oldest milk on Monday. Hopefully things will continue this way!

If she doesn't finish a bottle, they have to toss it after an hour. I filled them with 3 ounces, so the last half ounce from each had to be tossed. It's a licensing regulation. :-/

Yes, I read about rotating the freezer stash. Thanks!
    ~ Megan

Argh! Yes, daycares can be pretty strict about their bottle rules. I remember picking up my son one time and they had JUST warmed his bottle, which meant there was no way they would keep it for the next day. So I gave it to him on the way home and pumped which I was NOT happy about but I didn't want to throw the milk away! Anyway, I guess now you know to give smaller bottles.