Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tender nipple. Is it thrush?

Default Tender nipple. Is it thrush?

I have a 11 months baby girl, which I still breast feed mostly first and last of the day. But she also eats solids and takes bottles sometimes. Last weekend my right breast got engorged and it was a plugged duct (this has happened to me before and usually my LO would pop it while nursing) which it she did, but this time I've been having tenderness in my right nipple. It looks a bit bigger than the left, but color is the same. It just hurts to the touch and of course when I nurse her. She has a history of bad latch (my personal diagnosis) but it doesn't seem likes she doing it. It feels like she is doing a good job then I don't know why it's been so tender and sensitive for so long (1 week). And sometimes itches a bit. I was putting a "organic Peter rabbit healing ointment" and one of those breast pads. So I thought of thrush but my LO mouth seems fine (no white spots) and my nipple looks fine, maybe lighter on the tip but it always kinda does.
    Any ideas?

Default Re: Tender nipple. Is it thrush?

Thrush would not be my first guess, since it is on one side. However, baby not having symptoms does NOT rule thrush out.

No sign of a plug, maybe deeper so it's not really a bleb? Or Perhaps some bruising from an off latch or a bite or clamping?

I suggest be careful about positioning and latch, make sure baby has enough room to get a nice latch without tucking her chin. and maybe try some positions that allow baby to be latched in a different direction, if that makes sense. Reverse the latch.

The couple of times that I have had a plugged duct, the nipple on that side was sore for a few days after the plug resolved. I think that would be the more likely explanation for one sided pain, but if it doesn't resolve in a few days, I would think it's worth looking into it further!

I thought it was just the nipple recovering from the popped bleb but the pain has increased!! And that is my good breast. It got to the point where I don't want to feed her on that side. Last dawn I did and I couldn't resist more than a couple of minutes. And now hurts without even touch it. I can feel is getting full with milk now and I'm also afraid to use the pump. I started using the lanolin again yesterday and soothed but a sec but when she ate last night it hurted again. I'm calling the doctor (gyno) as soon as they open. But I wanted to know if this happened to anyone before. Nipple doesn't even look cracked or bruised just a bit bigger than the left one (like swollen) and slightly crooked.

Hmm, I wonder if you have a plugged duct or infected area in the nipple itself. Usually plugs and infections occur deeper in the breast, but having one in the nipple is certainly possible.

Let us know how it goes with the doc. Meanwhile, I think you do need to find a way to empty the breast... I'm sorry, because I know that's going to hurt!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok. So I'll update my info in case is useful for anybody. I haven't been able to go to the doctor because it is a Jewish holiday, in the meantime I've spoken with 2 doctors over the phone, one LLL leader and a midwife (everything over the phone) and my conclusion is that the little wound from the popped blister (from the plugged duct) hasn't heal properly, and a little wound on a very sensitive place like a nipple hurts a lot, especially if it keeps getting sucked by a teething baby. I think this caused the nipple to get swollen and a bit of the aureola (on the wounded side) causing the nipple to fold on a side and look crooked. From my talks I've put warm compresses (this helps a lot), cabbage leaves (smashed so the juices come out) this also helps a lot, an organic nipple ointment based on calendula and last night it hurt like very sharp and after speaking to the doctor seemed like the wound was again "open" and I put a bit of neosporing. All of this had help. But it is still uncomfortable, so I'm keeping my breast feedings on that side shorter than usual. I'm going to the doctor on wednesday, I'll let you know how did it go. Thanks to all the replies!