Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast pain

Default breast pain

Hello,

I have a 2.5 year old, still nursing. My right breast has been having some pain, intermittently, over the past 4-6 weeks (maybe longer). It isn't intense, just like a dull throb. It comes and goes. Nothing at all like a plugged duct or mastitis (I've had both!). Could it be something related to breastfeeding? Should I see the GP about it?

Thanks.

Default Re: breast pain

I think it relates to breastfeeding although I haven't tried nursing my baby for that long but when I did for a month for my baby, it was really painful. I guess you should see your GP to have a proper checkup.
    A Day in the Life of an HR Officer - An HR Officer at work and a full time mother in the house.

Is the pain while your child nurses, or in between nursing sessions, or both? Has your child started nursing much less, sleeping longer? or Nursing more often?
    I have had plugs in the same breast leading to mastitis 3 times with my toddler-once in the first month, once at around 8 months, and once at 20 months. While the symptoms of mastitis were the same and crystal clear (chills, body aches, fever) the feelings prior were different. And this last time, it took ages for me to figure out there even WAS a plug. I assumed there was, and started doing the things that help with plugs, and finally figured out it was so far back it was almost under my arm. (Previous two plugs had been in different place and much more obvious.)

Also, breasts change after pregnancy and with time. Some moms who, for example, never had to wear a bra prior to having a child, find that they begin to feel uncomfortable if they don't after, or perhaps find they need a more supportive one, or a more supportive one for certain activities such as exercise.

Of course, it could have nothing to do with breastfeeding at all. You might want to talk to your doctor. Your breasts can be examined and you CAN have a mammogram while nursing/lactating. You may be told you have to wean, but this is untrue.

Thanks for the ideas. My son had an appointment today, so I just asked about it while we were there. She did a full clinical exam and believes that I have fibrocystic breasts which is causing the pain. Makes sense, actually, as I had a cyst drained in the same breast a few years ago. She's not worried and recommended evening primrose for the pain.