Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Continuation of weight gain/supply struggle

Default Re: Continuation of weight gain/supply struggle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    ok,
    consultants at the WIC office have put me in touch with an Oral Motor Therapist.
    Hopefully I can get in to see them This week.
    Had the Weight check appointment at the Ped office today. I really need to find a new pediatrician or family practice.

I did FINALLY manage to get them to get me the referral to the therapist, that is the only good note.

on the negative side, the Ped office (or the nurse practitioner I saw today) wants me to come back in a week from now for another weight check and they seem to expect me to somehow get him to gain 2 oz a day between now and then to make up for his slow weight gain!!!! And their answer is to use bottles with longer and FASTER FLOW nipples!!!

Any tips for finding a new doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    Any tips for finding a new doctor?
    I can't remember; were you the one who doesn't have any IBCLCs in your area? I would generally suggest to ask one for their recommendations. Otherwise, do you have any local breastfeeding support chapters? LLL, BFUSA, etc.? The moms/leaders of those groups are likely to be a great source of information for breastfeeding-friendly pediatricians or family practitioners.

Another thought--if you are having trouble with a particular provider in your practice, you can also request not to see them. For example, I love my family practitioner. He is supremely breastfeeding-friendly, and an all around great guy. He takes care of five generations of my family. Love him. But one of the physician's assistants in his practice, however, is terribly underinformed about normal and appropriate breastfeeding, and I will not bring my daughter to see her. (I did make it a point to tell the office about her, and hopefully they've got her straightened out!)

You are working so hard, mama.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

There are some IBCLCs in the region as well as some LLL groups but most of them are not really that close to me.

Unfortunately the Dr who's practice we go to actually only deals with Behavior and feeding issues and lets the other people in his practice handle pretty much everything else. And As I've found out, while he is really Pro breastfeeding, it seems that he is really only Pro breastfeeding when it is EASY and really isn't of much use if there are any issues beyond the first weekend. So far the rest of the practice doesn't seem all that knowledgeable or helpful of breastfeeding if if they are not against it.

Saw the speech therapist today, We Like her, and got the first exercises to do, 2 sets of 5, 5 times a day and will be seeing her again sometime next week and probably twice a week for a while. Results are likely not to be immediate, will likely take a few weeks to start seeing major improvements (though even after just what she did in the office this morning, I could tell a difference in his latch the next time he nursed because his jaw was more relaxed.)

Tongue tie is not the ONLY thing that can cause a disorganized sucking pattern (though probably one of the more common) and as I learned from the Therapist today, it doesn't actually require a forceful letdown (since mine is definitely not what anyone could call forceful) to cause coughing if the baby is having some issues with proper suckling/sucking and swallowing. The coughing is a reflex response to the feeling of milk almost going down the wrong pipe since reflexes are first trying to protect the airway before they worry about eating, since you can survive a while without food/drink but only moments without breathing.
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; June 14th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

Yesterday after the therapy appointment we made a stop and I breastfed for about 15 minutes a side and then mixed up 2 oz of the Nutramegen formula that the Dr had recommended back in the beginning and let daddy feed that while I went into the store.
    Then when we got home about 1/2 an hour later baby was very fussy upset. Then about an hour after the 2 oz bottle of formula he was screaming like things we painful again.

Looking at the ingredients on the Formula, Corn Syrup Solids is the First ingredient! SUGAR as the first ingredient!!! Well I'm not sure how similar the corn syrup solids is to high fructose corn syrup but I'm very painfully intolerant to high fructose corn syrup and so is my father. Over the past few months I've noted that baby tends to spit up more and be fussier when he gets formula but he was usually only getting formula one ounce at a time mixed with breast milk.
    I've decided to try out a milk based formula to see if his reaction is any better during this time when I need to supplement to try to get his weight gain up. Should also give me an indication if MILK is something he is intolerant to pretty quickly instead of me having to keep goofing around with elimination from my diet.

Am so glad you finally got someone who can help you!

Corn syrup solids sound disgusting... But then I thought that when I read the ingredients of normal formula when I was struggling to express enough to top up with. At least with breastmilk you can control what it is made of!

If you looked at breastmilk composition, sugar would be the first ingredient, too- after water, that is. Breastmilk is full of lactose, which is milk sugar. That's why it's so sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If you looked at breastmilk composition, sugar would be the first ingredient, too- after water, that is. Breastmilk is full of lactose, which is milk sugar. That's why it's so sweet.
    I realize that lactose is sugar but it is milk sugar and far more appropriate to a baby mammal than processed corn sugar is. And I suppose I react strongly to the idea of corn sugars because I had such a problem for years with extreme stomach pain and the doctors never figured out what it was (going through all sorts of tests to see if it was ulcers etc.) Finally dad came across some article about high fructose corn syrup intolerance and it was pretty easy to test that theory by cutting out anything with it and then trying it again. "About 20 minutes after drinking anything with high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener on an empty stomach I'll experience sharp stomach pain bad enough to double me over for about 30 minutes."

I vaguely recall when I was really young, I insisted that mom had to mix milk with my juice (seems they must of buffered each other or something.)

Now making note that one ounce of the corn syrup formula mixed with breastmilk only seems to cause DS a slightly elevated likelyhood of spit up or pain during the 40 or so minutes after feeding. If we give a 2 oz bottle of formula, he usually throws up within the hour and there is some painful sounding crying.

Yesterday there were 2, separate 2 oz bottles of milk based formula given. He did throw up within the hour after each occasion but didn't seem to be in any pain about it.

This morning I've decided to only give 1 oz of the milk based formula at a time right before/during/after breast feeding and see how we do with that. So far so good, been 50 minutes since the formula/breast feed and no spit up or screaming.

Well I have spent several days supplementing more heavily.

Notes about the milk based formula, if I feed more than about an oz of that at a time all on it's own, he will throw up same as with the "hypoallergenic" formula. But he seems to do so without screaming in pain.

If formula is mixed with breast milk and only given about an oz of formula at a feeding, it just seems to produce a bit more spit up than milk alone but he doesn't seem to be throwing up the entire feeding.

On a supply note. The more heavy supplementing has seemed to hurt my supply some (hard to tell how much since I'm not always able to pump as much when I'm on my own with baby.

When I was supplementing only about 4-6 oz of expressed breast milk I think we were averaging about .7- 1 pz of weight gain per day.
    When I bump up to supplementing between 7-9 oz by adding formula, I'm still only getting about 1 oz average weight gain because when I increase the supplement he seems to take less from the breast. I have to push up to 12-14 oz of total supplement to manage more than 1 oz of weight gain and of course supplementing that much REALLY hurts the supply since I can't provide that much by pumping just 10-15 minutes after breastfeeding sessions (I don't respond well enough to the pump.) Max I've ever gotten in a after feeding pumping session was about 1 1/2 oz and that was when baby was too sleepy to really nurse much and just fell to sleep. During a power pumping session I think I've gotten as much as 2 oz. (During a weight feed weight first nursing of the morning, I've gotten as much as 3.8 oz into baby from the breast.)

Been going to the speech therapy sessions and following the instructions daily but I expect a couple more weeks before we start experiencing much noticeable results in feeding.
    Still looking for ideas/tips to get thought he next several weeks of supplementing/pumping? Still really hard to manage hour long feeding sessions/pumping and starting over again (generally feeding every 1 1/2-2 hours during the day and every 3 hrs at night meaning I'm only getting 1-2 hours of sleep at a time for maybe 6 hours of sleep a day.

I know this might be an unpopular suggestion and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered exclusive pumping? I pumped exclusively for 2 weeks when i was trying to get my supply up and I saw drastic improvements in my output. This was back when LO had a shallow latch causing me excruciating pain and I was happy that I could give him breast milk even though I couldn't breastfeed. I remember you mentioned you did get improved output after consistent pumping.