Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Continuation of weight gain/supply struggle

Default Re: Continuation of weight gain/supply struggle

You could just give him a daily multivitamin and see if anything changes... How old is he now? Most docs won't test for iron until 6+ months. Maybe they'd test earlier if he was preterm- iron stores aren't complete until a baby reaches term.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He is 5 1/2 months and was full term.
    I was anemic after delivery and was put on Iron supplements myself. I don't know what my Iron levels were like pre-delivery but the Dr never said anything about it. I'm guessing the anemia was just due to blood loss at delivery since there was kinda extensive tearing.

I haven't gone and done the vitamins for him since everyone always seems to say ask the Dr but at this point I might just do it on my own since I'm not trusting the Drs anyway.

A multivitamin shouldn't do any harm so not sure there is a downside of trying it. How much was the weight gain for the week before you stopped supplements, is there much difference?

His feeds do seem small and frequent. Not sure how normal that is - or whether it hints at an underlying issue still
    Last edited by @llli*bsua65; August 30th, 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bsua65 View Post
    A multivitamin shouldn't do any harm so not sure there is a downside of trying it. How much was the weight gain for the week before you stopped supplements, is there much difference?

His feeds do seem small and frequent. Not sure how normal that is - or whether it hints at an underlying issue still
    For the Week before the weight gain was again only about 2.2 oz for the week. And I'd been having trouble getting much supplement into him. Granted a trip to the Inlaws did happen that week which usually puts us off for a day or so too.

Well I've ordered some Vitamin D for me and D drops and Iron Drops for him.
    I live in a location where the sun is pretty intense but I don't spend that much time unprotected out in the sun lately though I've been trying to take walks to the mailbox in the mornings, I'm not doing it naked so both of us could be a bit low on Vit D and I've been reading how supposedly babies are supposed to be given Vid D supplements and we were never told to do that. And since we haven't been going out to get sun daily and the pre-natal vitamins only have 400 IU and I'm probably only getting another 300 IU from milk and yogurt daily.

Gave in and let DH give DS Some expressed milk via bottle today.

Feeling very disappointed that I don't think I'm going to get any EBF time without dealing with worry about weight gain and all the pumping.

What is your little guy up to for weight? I don't want to worry you, but my guy gained most of his weight before 6 months. At six months he plateaued and has only gained two and half pounds in the last year. His Dr isn't worried either, its just his growth pattern. Anyways, my point is I wouldn't be so tied to the number on the scale. Is he getting longer? More active? Babbling? That sort of thing!
    Ryder James 1/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esther2013 View Post
    What is your little guy up to for weight? I don't want to worry you, but my guy gained most of his weight before 6 months. At six months he plateaued and has only gained two and half pounds in the last year. His Dr isn't worried either, its just his growth pattern. Anyways, my point is I wouldn't be so tied to the number on the scale. Is he getting longer? More active? Babbling? That sort of thing!
    weight about 14lb 10oz

he is growing otherwise and looks healthy.
    And is meeting developmental milestones at or way ahead of schedule.
    He is mobile if not totally hands/knees crawling yet (but probably won't be long.)
    sits up, pushes himself up to sitting.
    stands with assistance.
    babbles and sings/screams to us.
    fine motor skills pretty good too, I expect he will be starting to be able to feed himself solids shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    weight about 14lb 10oz

he is growing otherwise and looks healthy.
    And is meeting developmental milestones at or way ahead of schedule.
    He is mobile if not totally hands/knees crawling yet (but probably won't be long.)
    sits up, pushes himself up to sitting.
    stands with assistance.
    babbles and sings/screams to us.
    fine motor skills pretty good too, I expect he will be starting to be able to feed himself solids shortly.
    So why are you so particular about doing weighed feeds and all that? Have you tried spacing out the feedings? If you feed very often, it's more like the baby gets a bunch of snacks rather than decent sized meals. Whenever I had a lowish supply I was told to feed more often, but I found that to be counterproductive because my baby was NOT in the mood of eating so frequently so he'd just have a few sucks and that's it. If I let him go 2.5 hours or so between meals, he ate a REAL meal when he ate. If you feed hourly, I wouldn't really expect your baby to want to eat that much.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruchiccio View Post
    So why are you so particular about doing weighed feeds and all that? Have you tried spacing out the feedings? If you feed very often, it's more like the baby gets a bunch of snacks rather than decent sized meals. Whenever I had a lowish supply I was told to feed more often, but I found that to be counterproductive because my baby was NOT in the mood of eating so frequently so he'd just have a few sucks and that's it. If I let him go 2.5 hours or so between meals, he ate a REAL meal when he ate. If you feed hourly, I wouldn't really expect your baby to want to eat that much.
    I've always fed fairly often during the day because it always seemed that I didn't have much storage capacity and tend to start feeling full by 2 hours and engorged by 3. Overnight he might go 3-4 hours or so the first stretch but then since we are co-sleeping he is still often eating every 2 hours overnight even if we are not really waking up much for it.
    The normal minimal amount of feeding has been 11 times a day for us. Since I tried to get off the supplements we have increased to 13-15.

And because he has been soo slow to gain weight I've been offering to nurse often. And often times he is distracted so I try to offer often to see if I'll be lucky and catch him at a time he will be willing to eat a little bit. Even when he does eat he often only takes 6-8 minutes to do it but often doesn't even eat an ounce before he is more interested in something over my shoulder.

I'd been doing the weighted feeds to try to figure out how much he was getting per 24 hour period. It seems not enough lately but I don't seem able to get him to eat more. Gaining only 2 oz per week doesn't seem to be enough at this point, especially when the Dr is wanting me to basically force feed him formula by bottle after every nursing session to make him gain at least an ounce a day (which I am not following those orders of course.)
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; September 1st, 2014 at 07:08 AM.