Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Continuation of weight gain/supply struggle

Default Re: Continuation of weight gain/supply struggle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*qcm View Post
    I know this might be an unpopular suggestion and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered exclusive pumping? I pumped exclusively for 2 weeks when i was trying to get my supply up and I saw drastic improvements in my output. This was back when LO had a shallow latch causing me excruciating pain and I was happy that I could give him breast milk even though I couldn't breastfeed. I remember you mentioned you did get improved output after consistent pumping.
    I don't think I respond to the pump well enough to even keep my supply up by pumping alone let alone bring my supply up.

I've always been pumping after nursing so don't manage to pump too much at a time (between 1/4 oz up to 1 1/2 oz depending on time of day and if I get to pump for 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes.) Even the couple times I've tried power pumping I don't think I've gotten much more than 1 3/4 oz during the session. I'm not sure how long it would take to pump an entire feedings worth (say 3 oz) if trying to EP but I don't even have the luxury to try since DH is out of town working till the end of the month. (getting DS to let me put him down for 10-15 minutes so I can pump now is a challenge.)

Well looks like I fed him too much during the day today, now I can't get him to even dream feed for the first time tonight.

how to pump when baby won't let me put him down?

I've heard of people pumping with baby on their knees but I don't really know how that could be effective. My little guy was never really tiny (over 21 inches long at birth, over 24 now)

I tried once with baby in the carrier but couldn't really do any compressions so not very effective for me.
    Any other creative ideas?

Only about one in three times when baby is sleeping or sleepy can I put him down without him objecting within 5 minutes. I really love holding him while he sleeps.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    how to pump when baby won't let me put him down?

I've heard of people pumping with baby on their knees but I don't really know how that could be effective. My little guy was never really tiny (over 21 inches long at birth, over 24 now)

I tried once with baby in the carrier but couldn't really do any compressions so not very effective for me.
    Any other creative ideas?

Only about one in three times when baby is sleeping or sleepy can I put him down without him objecting within 5 minutes. I really love holding him while he sleeps.
    I would sit on the floor with the pump and keep baby propped up in his boppy.
    Hard to hold baby while pumping

Can you latch him onto one side and pump the other?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I pump with my lo feeding in a 'rugby/football hold' (under arm) usually with a pillow under them one side and then can pump the other side.

As I only pump at night when I know lo will do a single sided feed this works best for us.

It took me AGES to figure this out tho... Tried pumping with baby in cross cradle as I didn't think of this... Doh!

hum, would have to set up pump out at the couch since the glider doesn't really allow for football hold.
    But LO has generally been taking both sides AND I'm often using the SNS so not sure that trying to pump while nursing is all that realistic.

I did try again to use the K-tan to hold him while trying to pump. I actually tried to use DH's K-tan so there was enough space to let baby recline back so I could look at him while trying to pump. Didn't really work to pump that way but baby sure got a case of the giggles watching me while I tried.

Did I mention he seems to be a VERY HAPPY baby much of the time.

Very happy baby is good!

Maybe do the latch-baby-on-one-side-pump-the-other thing after you're done nursing on both breasts? Put him back on breast A with the SNS in place, and then pump the other breast? IDK, that might be too many balls in the air at one time...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Very happy baby is good!

Maybe do the latch-baby-on-one-side-pump-the-other thing after you're done nursing on both breasts? Put him back on breast A with the SNS in place, and then pump the other breast? IDK, that might be too many balls in the air at one time...
    LOL talk about tricky things to juggle. Giggling baby, breast pump parts (careful don't spill any) tubing (SNS with those tiny tubes that baby likes to grab hold of.)

I think the attempting to pump while nursing will have to be for feedings when I don't use the SNS, or after I take it off.

Having trouble deciding if it is really worth trying to pump one handed like that though since I respond so poorly to the pump I generally need to do lots of massage and compressions to get much out. I use a bra to hold the pump shields in place so I can have both hands free to do massage and compressions.

Well last night when I woke baby up for the 11pm feeding he woke immediately when I tried to put him down to pump so I wound up trying the have him latched on one side while I pumped the other, so I only pumped the left side that time.
    Actually seems to have been fairly effective since I got a whole half ounce out of the left side that pumping session. I average total maybe an ounce during a pumping session and my Right usually provides at least 3/4 of that normally.
    So even without compressions it seems doing one side only while he is latched on is worth while. Especially if it means I can up the production in the lower producing breast maybe.