Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Combining milk?

Default Combining milk?

I have found mixed opinions in various places about combining pumped milk... would it be safe to combine what I pumped yesterday with what I pump today?

Default Re: Combining milk?

It's fine. Just remember that the expiration date for the combined milk is the same as for the oldest milk in the bag/bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Awesome! Thanks so much So since I can store the milk for up to eight days in the fridge, I would be okay to combine milk for a few days within the 8 day period as long as I go by the date of the oldest? Im already dealing with a super gassy/fussy baby who doesnt want me to eat anything, lol!! So im just super cautious lest I do something to make it worse...

I would be okay to combine milk for a few days within the 8 day period as long as I go by the date of the oldest?
    Yes. Though I personally wouldn't combine more than 2, maybe 3 days' worth of milk in a bottle, for the simple reason that 8 day-old milk is really getting close to its expiration date. Also, it can be really helpful to keep your milk in small servings rather than large ones. One big problem with bottles is that it's really easy to overfeed a baby using a bottle, so being forced to reach for a second bottle in order to top a baby off can give the baby a chance to decide whether or not she's actually hungry, and thereby help prevent overfeeding.

Im already dealing with a super gassy/fussy baby who doesnt want me to eat anything, lol!! So im just super cautious lest I do something to make it worse...
    What foods have you cut from your diet, and what symptoms of food intolerances are you seeing? IIRC, your baby isn't yet 3 weeks old- that's really early to even be thinking about cutting foods from your diet. And also to be pumping, for that matter. How often are you pumping and are you only storing the milk at this point, or are you also starting to give bottles?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

when combing expressed milk, it is suggested to add cold to cold. so, that would mean, cool the newest milk before adding it to already chilled bottle or bag. This is a tipsheet on handling expressed human milk, the first sheet in this pdf is on how to give bottles to breastfed baby (if needed) and the second page is on handling milk http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf

and here is one on storage
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...toringmilk.pdf
    Typically, bottle feedings should be in small amounts just as meals at the breast are. If you make the bottles or bags too large, that might create a situation where there is waste or the temptation to overfeed. just fyi.

I also wonder why you need to pump-sometimes it is needed for various reasons, of course. but pumping (and/or baby getting bottles) in the early weeks can lead to a couple issues, including overproduction which can sometimes exacerbate gas and fussiness, and that is vastly more common an issue than baby being sensitive to anything in mom's diet.

Wow! I guess because I haven't breastfed my baby when he was little that I really didn't know the proper. Thanks Mommies!