Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning off Nipple Shield

Post Weaning off Nipple Shield

My little girl is 5 weeks old and we started the breast shield because my nipples were too flat in the hospital. I used a breast shell to bring them out a bit, and nursing helped it out too.
    Now I'm trying to get her to nurse without the shield, and I'm having a very hard time with it. She doesn't seem to be able to latch on- and when she did latch on once or twice, she came off before 5 minutes. How do I do this?

Default Re: Weaning off Nipple Shield

This link may help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/. Basically, you want to keep offering the bare breast and hope that things eventually click.

One thing nipple shields often do is to slow down milk transfer. When the shield is in place, babies often nurse longer than when it isn't. So a 5 minute feeding without the shield could be perfectly normal.

Pay attention to latch and positioning to help baby get on there. Nipple shields (when the are used appropriately and working) make it possible for baby to latch as it gives baby a firm, protruding 'nipple' to glom on to. With proper latch and positioning (And by "proper' I mean, what ever works for you) you can help baby get this without the shield. It takes time and patience, and one side may come before the other.

This article covers most latch and positioning ideas, with links for more info: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/

Have you seen a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC (International Board Certified)? Hands-on help with latch can be really helpful.