Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast feeding painful

Default Breast feeding painful

Hi
    I am a first time mom. My son is almost six weeks old. I have continued to have pain when nursing and afterwards. My nipples are sore and have open areas in the center which scab. I have been treated for candida, so has my son. No improvement. The OB said it was not candida but just pain due to sensitive nipples and things should improve " in a few weeks" but it's been almost six. I have taken a break for a day and pumped with pretty much complete resolution in pain and sores. I have seen the midwife, OB, and lactation nurses in hospital as well as lactation consultant who all say his latch is fine. Is it normal to have pain? At the beginning of feeding on the right I have the most pain it makes me dread feeding him and makes me tense initially, it does improve. I feel like I do not necessarily have a low tolerance for pain I had my son naturally, but this is so frustrating and bothersome. I have used all of the dual things like hydrogel dressings and lanolin and I have tried Tylenol for the pain. I do not know what to do and if this is normal and will just take more time?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Breast feeding painful

has he been checked for tongue or lip tie?

image.jpg

He has never been checked for either, I know he is able to stick his tongue out without problems and my midwife noted his tongue goes over his lip when he feeds. I would have said no way he doesn't have a lip tie either because for the most part his upper lip does seen to flange out. However, when I flipped up his lip to look it really does appear he has a lip tie!! If that is what is going on I will be relieved and not feel so guilty! We have an appt today with his pediatrician, I will ask her. Thank you.
    Last edited by @llli*alyssia712; May 30th, 2014 at 02:17 AM.

Don't be too surprised if the pediatrician says that isn't a tie. It is normal to have a frenum between upper gums and upper lip. A tie is just an extra thick and short one.

When your baby unlatches after a nursing session, what shape are your nipples? Symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical/wedged/creased/ridged/shaped like a new lipstick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The nipple shape has definitely become more asymmetrical. There is often a ridge at the top or bottom. Id say sort of like lipstick. We try different nursing positions and all seems the same.

Yup, that's what a lip tie looks like! And yes, nipples get an extra workout with a lip tie! Some times as the baby's mouth grows bigger and the mom's nipple elongates deeper into the baby's throat, the lip tie trauma is alleviated. I agree with your choice of taking a nursing break and pumping for a whole day just to give your sore nipples a day without distress.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

There are different types of tongue/lip ties.
    Posterior tongue tie can keep the tongue from moving in ways that are not as apparent from just looking at it.

If it is painful then something still isn't right, get help and keep seeking help.

I did see my lactation consultant today who confirmed me and baby are doing everything right, nothing apparently wrong with latch but tried nipple shield which helped reduce discomfort and nipple shape is symmetrical when using it. Could there still be a lip tie if this is the case ? Unfortunately the peds didn't really seem to take a good look. Didn't even really lift the lip up like I did. She made a comment that the tongue tie is usually the problem and wasn't concerned. I insisted on seeing ear, nose, throat doctor and we have an appointment this coming wedns.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssia712 View Post
    I did see my lactation consultant today who confirmed me and baby are doing everything right, nothing apparently wrong with latch but tried nipple shield which helped reduce discomfort and nipple shape is symmetrical when using it. Could there still be a lip tie if this is the case ? Unfortunately the peds didn't really seem to take a good look. Didn't even really lift the lip up like I did. She made a comment that the tongue tie is usually the problem and wasn't concerned. I insisted on seeing ear, nose, throat doctor and we have an appointment this coming wedns.
    Many doctors don't believe tongue ties or lip ties affect breastfeeding and they won't look for them and often won't do much even if they are extremely obvious.
    Here are a few links on the tongue tie subject.
    http://www.sierradmd.com/#!tongue-ti...evision-/c22gd
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/
    http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml
    http://feedthebabyllc.com/tongue-and-lip-tie-2/
    So do some of your own research since you may have to work hard to get help with it if tongue or lip ties are the problem. (Tongue and lip ties often go together and posterior tongue ties are often not easy to diagnose visually.)

Can you tell this subject has been consuming a huge portion of my life lately?

Just to play devil's advocate here, sometimes a baby will have a shallow latch for no discernible reason other than being very young and small. Tongue ties and lip ties are often to blame, but sometimes there's just a mismatch between the baby and mom due to the fact that the baby is tiny.

Lipstick-shaped nipples indicate a shallow latch. Has anyone shown you the "nipple sandwich" technique? That can be really useful for cramming maximum breast into a tiny mouth.

ETA: in cases where a shallow latch explains the mom's pain, a nipple shield is something you want to use with extreme caution. The combination of shallow latch and shield can reduce stimulation to and milk removal from the breast and can result in lowered supply.

ETA2: There's nothing wrong with you for feeling pain under these circumstances. I have experienced both severely cracked nipples and natural childbirth and I'd have another all-natural childbirth again before I'd take a day's worth of cracked nipples. They SUCK. But they are temporary, I promise! It sounds like yours were almost closed after a day off from breastfeeding, and that is AWESOME! That suggests that while it may still be a while before you are completely healed, you will get there even if you do nothing but wait. One day the cracks will look a bit smaller, and soon they'll be gone... It's amazing, but it does happen- and I know. BTDT!
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; May 30th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"