Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Occasional Pacifer Use in Car for 3.5 month-old?

Default Occasional Pacifer Use in Car for 3.5 month-old?

First-time poster here, although I have read many posts and learned so much.

My little guy is 3 1/2 months old. I exclusively BF, and that is a top priority in my life right now. I have never used a pacifier with him; I understand that this can interfere with BF and can act as a hunger-suppressor. However, I was wondering if it would make sense to use a pacifier on rare occasions.

I would say 90% of the time my LO is in the car, he is fine. But if he is super tired/it's late/it's a longer trip, he gets very upset and screams bloody murder. Would it interfere with BF to use a paci during these times? I anticipate this would occur about 3 or 4 times a month. I am so dedicated to not doing anything that could harm our BF relationship, but at the same time, it is utterly distressing when he is so upset in the car.

Thank you so much for your help!

Default Re: Occasional Pacifer Use in Car for 3.5 month-old?

Hi mama, welcome to the forum! Since your breastfeeding relationship is well established at this point I doubt occasional use in the car would interfere with BF'ing. The key thing is really to avoid excessive use of the pacifier INSTEAD of the breast, and it sounds like you are very attuned to that so I don't see it being a problem. Also very early on baby getting used to sucking on a pacifier may lead to problems with sucking at the breast - but again you are well past that stage now. If you are looking for a been there, done that story, my LO has been using a pacifier since she was 2 months old (started by my nanny after I went back to work) and is still happily breastfeeding at 2 years old!

This sort of limited paci use in an older baby who is nursing well and on demand is very unlikely to cause any problems.

If you can get him to take at pacifier at this point. Will he suck his hand/thumb for comfort? At least that can't fall out of reach while you are driving.

It's a lifesaver for the car. It's not like I'd be breastfeeding while I'm driving so I found no problem in giving my baby one in the car to help him fall asleep easier and to have something "to do" (a lot of people I know like to chew gum while in the car ). Anyway, at about 5 months there was really no point in me giving him the paci because he'd pull it out but hadn't grasped the putting it back in so he'd cry for me to replace it, which I couldn't do while driving anyway so I just didn't give it. Now at 7 months he enjoys putting it in and taking it out. I haven't found it to distract from breastfeeding at all. In fact, some days when he wouldn't really want to eat, I'd give him the paci and then sneak my boob in and that usually worked
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Thank you so much, ladies, for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    If you can get him to take at pacifier at this point. Will he suck his hand/thumb for comfort? At least that can't fall out of reach while you are driving.

Good thinking. I guess the pacifier isn't necessarily going to stay in his mouth the whole trip. He doesn't currently suck his hand/thumb for comfort. But he DOES suck on his hand to let me know he's hungry!