Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice...again!

Default Need advice...again!

Okay...so all my breastfeeding nightmares continue...I went to a different doctor yesterday (had to write off my unsupportive OB) and he said that I don't have Thrush but have abcessed mastitis and put me on two antibiotics that I cannot breastfeed with for 10 days. I feel like crying when I mix the formula and he turns toward my chest when he is hungry. I don't have a fever or aches, etc. This doctor said that it isn't thrush because there isn't discharge and the nipple pain is from the mastitis infection. I haven't read discharge being a sympton of Thrush and I fit EVERY symptom. Prior to yesterday I was using Gentian Violet, APNO and starting grapefruit seed extract. This is the fourth person that has given me a different story and I don't know what to think at this point.

Default Re: Need advice...again!

Have you been in contact with your local LLL leader? She would be able to help diagnosis you correctly.

Most medications are perfectly safe to use while breastfeeding. 10 days is a very long time to go without breastfeeding. I'm looking for the link for you to look up the safety of your meds. Are you pumping?

I agree with the OP, go talk with your local LLL person and see what they say. They can also advise you on BF while taking medications and which would be safe. If it is truely what the doc says, and the antibiotic that you are taking isn't okay for the babe, maybe there is another one that is?

But do pump, to help relieve the pressure and keep your supply up.

LLL Leaders cannot diagnose. Because you've seen several healthcare providers already, I'd suggest you get ahold of an IBCLC. They can help you figure the problem out and help you dialogue with your doctor.

What antibiotics were you prescribed? Many are considered safe for nursing. I'd be happy to help you find some information.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Unfortunately I didn't have luck with the LLL leader why back in the beginning when I was first home from the hospital. I called her crying and she was friendly but said she wasn't familiar with what I was describing and told me that I could call later if I was still having trouble since she was on the way to her daughter's soccer game. I know she has her own family to think about but that whole first week was awful and I felt that I called tons of people and couldn't get assistance (bad memories) Anyway, the pedi also said that I cannot breastfeed on a particular anti. I am on - Doxicycline. I believe Medication and Mother's Milk rates it in category D. Perhaps I can try to call the two other leaders in my area to help me with latching later on?

Anyway, the pedi also said that I cannot breastfeed on a particular anti. I am on - Doxicycline. I believe Medication and Mother's Milk rates it in category D. Perhaps I can try to call the two other leaders in my area to help me with latching later on?
    Doxycyclene is rated as an L3 for use less than 3-4 weeks. Dr Hale says: "Short term use (three-four weeks) is not contraindicated. No harmful effects have yet been reported in breastfeeding infants but prolonged use is not advised." (Medications and Mothers' Milk, 2006 ed., page 290)

You said in your original post you were on 2 antibiotics. Do you have the name of the other one? It's really not a good idea to stop nursing in the middle of a mastitis infection. It can make things worse. If you're not comfortable with the doxycyclene, perhaps you could talk with your doctor about a different medication?

Yes, absolutely try the other Leaders in your area! And don't hesitate to see another doctor for a second opinion if you feel you aren't getting the help you need.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I had thrush for 4 months. My midwife and family doctor prescribed various meds, but it didn't work. My family doctor was starting to think I was imagining it!

With the help of a local LLL leader, I was finally able to beat it using something purchased at a health food store. Here's the link:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp
    Last edited by jentut; November 30th, 2006 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Adding link