Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: does time of day matter when pumping to increase supply?

Default does time of day matter when pumping to increase supply?

I still seem to be experiencing some low supply issues (long road with tongue tie etc.)
    I'm still trying to pump some to improve my supply as well as have expressed milk to use for supplementing in the SNS instead of using formula as much as I can.

I'm going to be on my own this coming week and a lot during June so I won't be able to do the pump for 15 minutes after every feeding since baby often isn't content to be put down so I can pump immediately after feeding, especially overnight. Now normally overnight and in the morning I seem to have ample supply. It is from around Noon till early evening when my supply is lowest.

Since I am not going to be able to do as much pumping, I was wondering if concentrating on pumping when supply is lowest will increase my supply during that time or not.

Default Re: does time of day matter when pumping to increase supply?

Great question! I think the answer is that any pumping you can do is good. If you can only pump when it's convenient, that's okay; it will still increase your overall prolactin level and result in more milk. But if you can pump when supply is lowest, that would be really good, too. Maybe even better than pumping when supply is high. Your body has a terrific internal clock and is trainable- to a certain extent- and increased stimulation during low supply times of day should boost overall supply AND supply during that low-flow time. Does that make sense?

Default Re: does time of day matter when pumping to increase supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Great question! I think the answer is that any pumping you can do is good. If you can only pump when it's convenient, that's okay; it will still increase your overall prolactin level and result in more milk. But if you can pump when supply is lowest, that would be really good, too. Maybe even better than pumping when supply is high. Your body has a terrific internal clock and is trainable- to a certain extent- and increased stimulation during low supply times of day should boost overall supply AND supply during that low-flow time. Does that make sense?
    Yes and it is kinda what I was hoping.