Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I really do this?

Default Re: Can I really do this?

To my knowledge, it is not possible to pump too often, as long as the pumping is not physically hurting you. It's very common for moms to feel like they have more milk if they allow it to build up. But waiting for milk to build up is a short term gain, long term loss. Short term, you see more milk. Long term, your body gets the message that there isn't as much demand as there used to be, and supply goes down as a result.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What kind of pump are you using? I have hospital grade pump that I have rented and it has made all the difference to my supply increasing.

I hired a medela symphony for 14 days but can't afford to pay £45 each month so I have returned it and bought a medela freestyle since it will work out cheaper long term. Getting more milk but not running into the bottle. Nipples very wet after pumping though.

The Medela Symphony is the pump I have at the moment and the cost is a nightmare. So far between the rental of the pump and the supplements I have spent a small fortune! I had been hoping that my DS would be latching on and helping however he is not having any of it so expressing it is at the moment. I have set myself a six week target as after that I can't afford to keep it up.

Initially I thought he was reluctant to stay latched as there was no milk however there is milk now and he still doesn't want to latch, it is really dispiriting!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetpea01 View Post
    The Medela Symphony is the pump I have at the moment and the cost is a nightmare. So far between the rental of the pump and the supplements I have spent a small fortune! I had been hoping that my DS would be latching on and helping however he is not having any of it so expressing it is at the moment. I have set myself a six week target as after that I can't afford to keep it up.

Initially I thought he was reluctant to stay latched as there was no milk however there is milk now and he still doesn't want to latch, it is really dispiriting!
    It's tough financially and emotionally (not to mention physically exhausting). I am giving it a month and then will see how it's going. If im still only getting tiny drops then I think I will need to try and move forward. Its full on and means im not able to give my girl the attention I would like.

So I finally got some milk in the bottle...yipee. not much but I'm delighted after 4.5 months of not breastfeeding that I have visible milk. Its only a few drops but hopefully it will increase.
    My concern now is the domperidone that I have been taking. It does say not to breastfeed when taking them. Im only taking 10mg 3 times in 24 hrs (30mg total). Im worried it will affect my girl. I know lots of women take it and breastfeed but with the new warning released last month, I am worried.
    Shall I wait to get my supply up and then stop the domperidone so I can feed her my milk med free? Confused....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oxygen78 View Post
    My concern now is the domperidone that I have been taking. It does say not to breastfeed when taking them. Im only taking 10mg 3 times in 24 hrs (30mg total). Im worried it will affect my girl. I know lots of women take it and breastfeed but with the new warning released last month, I am worried.
    Shall I wait to get my supply up and then stop the domperidone so I can feed her my milk med free? Confused....
    In Medications and Mothers' Milk, Dr. Hale gives domperidone a lactation safety rating of L1 (safest). He says

Concentrations of domperidone reported in milk vary according to dose. But following a dose of 10 mg three times daily, the average concentration in milk was only 2.6 µg/L.
    It helps me to translate micrograms to milligrams -- so that's 0.0026 mg per liter of milk. He also says there have been no reports of adverse effects in babies whose mothers are taking domperidone, and that once milk production is established, domperidone can be stopped without harming supply by gradually tapering down the dose over a few weeks.

The amount you're taking is within the range that Dr. Hale recommends --

The prior studies clearly suggest that doses of 10-20 mg three to four times daily elevate prolactin levels to levels more than adequate to produce milk. Doses higher than this should be avoided in breastfeeding mothers.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank you so much for this, very helpful.

We can do this Oxygen

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetpea01 View Post
    We can do this Oxygen
    Thanks sweetpea
    My milk has def increased. Not much still but since I had none 3 days ago, I am happy. Can't wait to hit the first 1oz.

My girl still wont latch but we are doing plenty of skin to skin.I feed her next to my breast and pace feed her the bottle. Feeds are MUCH longer but thats fine. She is acting much more like she used to when we breastfed. She closes her eyes and sometimes has a little snooze before resuming her bottle. She seems to be really relaxed next to my breast. She even plays with my nipple in her mouth sometimes after her bottle. No latch but at least she seems happy and not stressed out. Im feeling relaxed about it. The most important thing for me is to give her my milk. Direct from the breast would be amazing but if not then lets hope I can express a decent amount to give her.