Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I really do this?

Default Re: Can I really do this?

I do have some milk remaining as I fed for 15 weeks and it has been 6 weeks since I stopped however I have recurrent thrush and that has led to nipple damage so every time I try to get my baby back to the breast I end up with more damage and have to stop again.

It does sound as if you are on the way

Well I am going to keep updating this thread in case others are interested as I was, in looking for other peoples experiences.
    Its a week today of pumping every 2-3 hrs throughout the day and once during the night (3am). Still no sign of milk, just yellowish blobs. Feeling very tired today, its hard keeping up with pumping and looking after my baby girl alone. Still determined but I wish I could just see a little milk to encourage me.

The yellowish blobs are milk, mama. Human milk doesn't always look milky, especially when the breast is almost dried up. At the end of lactation, the milk becomes salty, low in water, and very high in protein and immunological factors. In a way, it's more like colostrum than like the milk produced by a breast that's producing lot of milk. I think this sort of milk is designed to give an older baby/toddler a last concentrated shot of immune support as the baby transitions to eating a diet composed exclusively of solids.

If you want, you could mix those yellow blobs into whatever you are feeding the baby. They really are healthy for her!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The yellowish blobs are milk, mama. Human milk doesn't always look milky, especially when the breast is almost dried up. At the end of lactation, the milk becomes salty, low in water, and very high in protein and immunological factors. In a way, it's more like colostrum than like the milk produced by a breast that's producing lot of milk. I think this sort of milk is designed to give an older baby/toddler a last concentrated shot of immune support as the baby transitions to eating a diet composed exclusively of solids.

If you want, you could mix those yellow blobs into whatever you are feeding the baby. They really are healthy for her!
    Really. The blobs are quite thick and not milk like at all. Its not thin enough to drip into the bottle, just stays on my nipple
    Can't wait until something/anything (!) Actually drops into the bottles.

Really! It's milk, trust me. If you taste it, it's not going to be sweet. Salty, exceedingly thick and oily. But it's still milk, and still contains all the good stuff that comes in milk. At this point, you do have milk- the only issue is volume. If you can find a way to get those blobs into a bottle, they'd offer a great boost to your child's formula.

We expect milk to look like milk we buy at the store, right? But it doesn't, because a) we're not cows, b) human milk isn't pasteurized and homogenized, and c) the milk we buy comes from only a single stage of a cow's lactation process. We don't get bovine colostrum at the store and we don't get the milk produced at the very end of a cow's lactation, either.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks for that . I keep reading relactation stories and most involve Domperidone. Is it possible to do this without it? GPs in the uk are reluctant to prescribe something when it's not for the intended use. I can buy them over the counter but it would be very expensive. Im worried that I wont be able to do this without it now.

Yes, it is possible to do this without Domperidone. My mom related solely through nursing, no drugs, teas, pumps, etc. Dom might make the process go faster, though.

A couple more questions. If did use domperidone then could a short term use , 2 weeks for example, be of any benefit? I don't want to take it ongoing. Also if it did kickstart my milk then would my supply diminish if I stopped?

Yes, a short term use could be beneficial. The drug would conceivably give your supply a boost which would then be maintained with pumping.

Firstly thanks mommal for all your advice, its very helpful.
    Day 15 and I have milk (white now) on my nipples. Only small amounts and not enough to drop into the bottle yet.
    Is it possible to pump too often? The reason I ask is that I tend to have more milk (or milk at all) when I go a bit longer between pumps (3 hrs as opposed to 2 hrs). Is 2 hrs to soon to pump? Sometimes after 2 hrs I don't have any milk when I pump. I thought it was a good thing pumping so often but now im questioning it.