Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference in expressed milk from morning vs night?

Default Difference in expressed milk from morning vs night?

I've been pumping twice a day to add to oatmeal for my son who recently started solids. I just read on a website:
    "Breast milk that is pumped in the morning hours, should be fed to Baby in the morning, as it can be compared to an adult drinking an espresso!"
    Is this true? I've been doing the opposite - pumping during his first nap for his dinner and pumping when he is in bed for his breakfast.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Difference in expressed milk from morning vs night?

True? IMO, no. There is data suggesting that levels of melatonin in milk rise and fall with the mother's levels, which suggests that night milk might be better for making babies sleep than morning milk. But as far as I know, no-one has bothered to test that hypothesis, and therefore the assertion that morning milk is just like espresso is a vast overreach. It's also- again, IMO!- detrimental to breastfeeding because it makes a nursing/pumping mom's job even harder than it already is.

If you're worried about this, I suggest doing a little experiment. Feed your baby milk expressed early in the day and see if he's more wakeful than if you feed him milk expressed in the evening. I personally never noticed a difference, but maybe you will. If you do, then you can decide whether or not you need to match your expressed milk to the time of day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you noticed baby does not fall asleep after you feed him the morning milk in the evening?

Are you pumping just for the oatmeal? Pumping twice a day seems like a lot of effort just to feed baby oatmeal. Are you familiar with baby-led solids? After doing the usual cereals and purees with my first two kids, I learned about BLS on these forums and used that approach with my third baby and loved it!

Espresso? That's a pretty ridiculous overstatement, IMO.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yeah, morning milk is really more like crack cocaine.

What website was this from, Erikaf? I'm curious!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yeah, morning milk is really more like crack cocaine.

I haven't noticed any sort of difference in his behavior. I also tend to pump more in the morning and sometimes mix it with the evening milk...

I'm pumping partly for oatmeal... but also because my son really only likes to nurse on my left side (I always had more supply and a much faster let down). I've been pumping on and off since this started in December to just keep my supply on that side.

I have read about BLW and I should have definitely went in this direction over the tradition purees. Of course I was that crazy mom wanting to make her own baby food.... I've started to incorporate some things in BLW but are still giving him oatmeal and the purees as well. I will know better for future babies!

Interesting! The information is generally good. But that espresso thing is whacky!

We had a discussion here on this site once about this topic (can't find the post) and there IS scientific evidence pointing to the idea that there is more melatonin in BM expressed at night than BM expressed by day. However, I don't think anyone ever noticed a difference when giving an expressed bottle. My sister exclusively pumped for twins and she never was particular about giving day milk by day and night milk by night, and her kids' sleep wasn't wonky.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.