Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not going well

Default Re: Not going well

What state are you in?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am in the UK.

Things here continue to be mixed. My supply is slowly increasing and I am getting roughly half as much again each day which is good. I am pumping every two hours with a power pumping session in the morning and one at night. When the pump session is finished I hand express until nothing comes out so I don't think I can do any more in relation to that. For the last few days I have been eating oats, taking domperidone and fenugreek and I have blessed thistle on the way too.

What is not going well is the latching side of things my DS just starts crying as soon as he sees my breast and even skin to skin without any attempts to latch seems to really upset him. Once a day when he is really tired he will latch on for maybe a minute or two and then he either starts crying and unlatches or drops off to sleep. I am at a loss as to what to do to build this side of things back up.

Oh, now I understand! In the US, most states have exemptions for anyone who is the primary caregiver of a baby, a young child, a family member who requires help, etc. Sometimes those exemptions are written into law, but more often you just have to write a polite letter to the jury duty coordinator and explain your situation. I did a bit of googling and it seems like the UK may be the same, though the exemptions don't seem to be written into law. I'd write some letters and make some calls!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Hows things sweetpea? Where did you get your domperidone? Im in the uk also.

No way to get out the jury duty unless not needed on the day

Things are still mixed. Both sides are producing vastly different amounts with the right now up to 1.5 oz over the course of the day and the left just a few drops. The Domperidone was prescribed by my doctor on request however that was before the news reported the risks of side effects so I don't know if they would prescribe it again. I have found fenugreek to be useful as I took that for a supply issue before my feeding break.

What is really difficult though is the fact my DS refuses to latch and even skin to skin makes him upset. What can I do to encourage him back when even seeing bare skin makes him scream? How long do I persevere? My family and friends have said that if he is not latching it is clearly because he prefers formula and that it is unfair to continue trying to BF. Mercifully my hubby is supportive and happy for me to keep trying.

Any ideas as to how I can encourage my DS to latch and feed?

This is the second time I have heard the "unfair" thing and I just don't get it. How is it unfair to try to get your child to eat the food which nature has designed for him, the one that promotes normal health outcomes? It makes no sense!

Have you tried the tricks in the kellymom link on nursing strikes- the skin-to-skin contact, the instant reward techniques? How about feeding at night when baby is really relaxed and sleepy?

They do not think that BF is unfair it is the fact he is so upset when it is offered that they think I should just settle for FF which appears to make him happy.

I have been trying everything to get him to latch including the advice on Kellymom with no joy, in fact he seems to dislike the taste of my milk at the moment too as I have expressed until the milk is there and then dripped some onto his lips and that makes him cry and screw up his face. I know there is a comfortable amount of milk there atm however he won't latch at all.

When he is sleepy he just doesn't open his mouth and I have tried swapping his bottle for me during feeds when he is dozing and his eyes snap open and the tears start.

It is beginning to feel as if I am making him unhappy all the time

Cookies make my kids happy. Should I therefore feed them exclusively on cookies?

I know this is tough, because you are working so hard and getting little back in return. But don't let anyone make you feel like you're not doing right by your child! You are doing something awesome. AWESOME. Okay?

Thank you so so much for all your support, it has helped me to go on when I have doubted that I am doing the right thing. I will keep plugging away as to me this is too important to give up on without a fight!

On a positive note I am now up to 2oz a day