Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not going well

Default Re: Not going well

2oz is great, well done you. Keep up the great work. I know how hard it is when lo seems to prefer formula, it sucks. My girl gets so excited when she sees her bottle .

Well I reported for Jury Duty and managed to speak to someone about my BF and they have excised me for another few months. Such a relief as now I can just focus on getting my boy back to feeding.

I have been spending lots of skin to skin time and getting him used to being back in a BF position. Also encouraging hime to nap on me so that when he is sleepy/wakening up then I am right there and ready should he want to latch on (which he doesn't). On the positive side however I am expressing enough that he is getting a partial BF each day so at least he is getting some BM even if he is not latching.

How much are you managing to express now sweetpea? Any luck with getting your boy to latch? Still no luck here. My girl is happy to cuddle near my breast but has no clue what to do with my nipple in her mouth
    I'm focusing on the fact that she is still getting a small amount of breast milk per day and that the amount will increase.

I managed to get up to 4oz a day however things here are not going well. My gorgeous boy will not latch and if I even try skin to skin he just screams and gets distressed. All the time spent expressing has had me feeling guilty that I am not giving him the time and attention I want to and yesterday my husband suggested that I stop trying and that I enjoy my time with him instead of chasing something that may not happen.

My husband will support me in whatever decision I make and was only tentatively making the suggestion as he can see how unhappy this cycle is making my boy and I. It is such an emotional decision for me to make. I spend hours each day expressing instead of doing wonderful things with him, when we go out I am watching the clock to see how long until the next session and it is taking over my life. If I had faith that he would return to feeding I would continue however I have tried so hard to coax him back to feeding and it is just not working. The time I have at home with him is so short and I want it to be lovely and at the moment it is an endless cycle of feeding and expressing.

Then today I was out with my gorgeous boy and my family and at the park there was a group of ladies bf their babies in the sunshine and I had tears in my eyes as I so wanted to be there feeding my boy myself instead of giving him a bottle. Every time he cries or is unsettled I just want to feed him but I know that won't work any more and offering just upsets him and me.

I just don't know what to do.

Such a hard thing, when a baby is so adamant about refusing the breast.

Not that it matters, but we will also support you in whatever decision you make! If you want to continue, we're for it. If you decide you have given this your all and can't give any more, we're for that, too.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ah sweetpea, I 100% understand. I too feel the heartbreak when I see someone breastfeeding. I too feel the guilt of not spending as much quality time with my girl and watching the clock to make sure im back home to pump. My girl still wont latch either, she doesnt mind being near my breasts and Will even lick my nipple but she has zero interest in latching
    I'm not ready to quit yeah but im guessing I wil come to a point where I have to make a decision.

That is so promising that she is relaxed at your breast and is starting to show an interest, hopefully it will only be a matter of time before she latches and just think of all that wonderful milk she is getting at the moment

How's it going sweetpea? Our situations are so similar even though our reasons leading us here are different. Latching seems a no no for us.

How's things going?

So sorry not to have responded sooner however the whole experience became too emotional for me and I had to take a step back. My gorgeous boy continued to refuse to latch and became more and more unhappy. All my day was taken up with feeding and expressing and I felt that I was missing out on being the mummy I wanted to be. Finally after many tears I made the decision to stop.

It has been one the most painful and difficult decisions I have made. Each and every time I hear my baby cry I feel the urge to put him to my breast and when I see women breast feeding their babies I am so over come with emotion that I teeter on the verge of tears. I have not been able to go to any of the mum and baby places I had gone to before as I just can't face it. I appreciate that I am lucky to have a healthy happy baby and that that formula is an option however at some level I feel that I have failed and I miss the bond that feeding gave us. He is my last baby and I am so upset that this did not end differently for us.

As for my gorgeous boy, he is thriving and a true joy. He is gaining weight and to him I am still the most amazing person in the room which makes my heart swell with joy.