Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not going well

Default Not going well

Our relactation journey is not going well and I could do with some advice. I have been offering the breast often and my DS has latched on once or twice however in the main he gets fretful and tearful and refuses to latch. I am trying to make the breast a happy place to be and have focussed on lots of skin to skin, cuddles etc but he is reluctant to latch.

When he does latch he wrinkles his nose and looks unhappy as if the milk tastes unpleasant and I have read that often at the start of relactating that milk can be salty. I have been taking fenugreek and expressing often although only getting a few drips at a time.

I really want this to happen and I am worried about making a mistake and ruining our chances. Do you think I should get a hops pump to get my supply up while still offering so that when he does latch on he is getting more milk and may then latch on more?

Default Re: Not going well

When relactating, I think it makes sense to use the absolute best possible pump. So I would go out and rent the hospital-grade machine. The faster you bring supply up, the sooner the milk will taste nice, and hopefully the more likely your baby will be to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The manual pump has led to cracks all around the base of both nipples so I am concerned the electric pump will cause more damage. I am so frustrated as it constantly feels like one step forward and ten steps back!

Cracks around the nipple base? That sounds like it's a result of either very poorly fitting pump shields or something infectious. Thrush?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I have been battling thrush for months and I finally thought I had got rid of it but I guess not It is so frustrating as this is why I stopped feeding in the first place. Never did I think it would last this long and that it would constantly get in the way of me feeding my boy. Back on the treatment plan then and I guess I will need to wait longer to relactate.

Mama, I'm so sorry. I know you have been working super hard to get rid of the thrush. I'm wondering, though- what if it's not thrush but rather bacteria? They can cause similar problems and if this was a bacterial infection rather than a yeast infection, that could explain why months of treatment have been unsuccessful (apparently).

The combination of Daktarin and Gentian Violet seemed to clear it after all the other treatments had failed. I will restart them and keep going incase there is a bit of the infection left. The doctor had confirmed it was thrush and not bacterial however she said it was one of the worst cases she had ever seen.

I have been hand expressing and my milk supply has started to slowly, slowly increase. My DS has latched on a couple of times however he quickly gets upset and unlatches and then gets more upset so I am keen to keep hand expressing and will keep trying the manual pump every few days to make sure they have healed before I order the electric one.

I just want to feed my boy.

Well I ordered the hosp grade pump and have been using it for the last few days and I am slowly seeing an increase in milk. Initially I had a drip or two over the day and now I am by the end of the day getting about 1/3oz which is so little when you see it but at least it is there! Tomorrow I am going to start a short course of domperidone and will keep up the fenugreek.

That is the positive news, the less positive is that my boy will no longer latch and screams if we try. Oh and to make life even more stressful I have been called for jury duty and as I am not ebf I am not eligible to be excused, I am beginning to think that this journey is going to end again.

Oy, jury duty on top of everything else? Even though you are not EBF, you're still quite likely to be exempted as the caregiver of a child under age 5- that's good in a lot of states. If not, you can have your doctor write a note explaining your situation- that's usually enough to get you exempted.

I have spoken to the court and bf is not grounds for excusal and my doctor will not write a letter as I am not ebf. So I will take my manual pump with me and express every opportunity I have and just hope I am not selected, hopefully when I explain in person they will be understanding.

In the meantime I am doing everything to get my supply up.