Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: concerned about pedi dr recommendation

Default concerned about pedi dr recommendation

We went to the doctor this week and the pedi recommended flouride drops and vitamin drops. We are only BF right now and baby is 5 months old weighing 21lb and 28 in length. Flouride drops i kind of get because i dont think im getting that through my milk. however i dont get the vitamin drops because i thought all baby needed its first year he would get through my milk. We are going to be introducting soilds only as supplemental feeding and will still BF as the main source of food/nutrition. Anyone have any thoughts on vitamin drops? Is it necessary?

Default Re: concerned about pedi dr recommendation

Mine just called me at home to tell me she had called in a prescription for the flouride drops. She said because I give my LO bottled water ( our city sends us letters all the time .... Your water is safe to drink, but we have yet again failed to meet the standards..... Anyway, we have water delivered to the house, and because of that she wants me to start him on these flouride drops. Never thought about it and I'm going to have to look into it but what have you guys heard?

I have always heard alot of different things about flouride and I never knew which way to go on that matter. Our ped. never suggested it, but we have city water...which she did ask. Awhile back another person posted about this same question (you can do a search on flouride in the blue pull down menu to find it if you want). Anyway, I got interested in the question and did some research. It was actually pretty scary. It turns out that flouride isn't always necessary...especially to breastfed infants. Here's the quote of what I wrote in that post, including the link to where I found the info.

After reading this thread, I did an online search about flouride. I'd always heard that too much flouride is really bad for you, but I didn't know why, so I looked it up. What I found was actually really scary.

One of the most important things I read about was the fact that scientists in the 40's or 50's thought that flouride had to be ingested to do the most good for your teeth, however, dentists now say that that isn't true at all, it does not need to be ingested and actually does the most good when applied topically, ie. in toothpaste (which you don't eat, but spit out). Considering all of the harmful effects of ingesting too much flouride...flourosis (white spotting on teeth)...the possibility of bone cancer... some studies actually link too much flouride to lower IQ's!!!, I'm probably going to try to limit how much flouride my kids now ingest. The website I checked out www.fluoridealert.org actually mentioned how infants were most at risk of being overdosed as there is flouride in almost everything due to manufacturing with flouridated water, and if people formula fed their children, the amount of flouride in the mixed formula increased to well beyond what is recommended.

The website totally supports and promotes breastfeeding due to the risks of overexposure of flouride in infant formula as well as the regular health benefits of breastfeeding. I didn't even expect it to mention breastfeeding...after all, it was a mainstreem informational website, not affiliated with breastfeeding advocates as far as I knew.
    It seemed like that website was a reputable one, but it might be a good idea to do more research to see how many other people back that info up.

Regarding the vitamin drops, I've read on this website where people have included info they researched that its really not necessary to do the vitamin drops as long as there isn't a vitamin deficiency in you or the baby or there aren't any other underlying problems (the doc. would have mentioned these as a reason for the drops if there were any...I assume he would've anyway). Our ped didn't prescribe drops...she indicated that we needed to watch iron levels and told us to get drops for that if we weren't going to start solids...incl rice cereal w/added iron. and she indicated that vitamin D was necessary too, but that can be taken care of if you spend time outside every day as real vitamin D is produced from contact from sunlight.

hope that helps you make a decision.

Ajmommy are BF babies supposed to be getting bottles of water? If so when should i start or should i have already started?

Amy00...it seems like we posted at the same time...see my post directly above yours regarding the flouride and vitamin questions.

Amy, Sorry for the confusion. AJ only gets maybe an oz of water a week if that. I've started putting some in a sippy cup to get him used to that plus it keeps him occupied while we're out and about. He really can't eveN get the oz out of the cup to be honest. The doc just asked if he did get water and if he did what type. BF babies don't really need water, I just give that so I'm not wasting BM.

I recently just did a lot of research on vitamin supplementation in exclusively breastfed babies because my pediatrician suggested the same thing. What type of vitamins did they say you should use? Iron & Vitamin D? Poly-Vi-Sol, D-Vi-Sol, Tri-Vi-Sol... Etc? Do you know? I can offer a lot of info on these, since I have just gone through all of this in the past few weeks. Let me know!

Here's a link to Sasha's thread:
    Poly-vi-sol?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    Here's a link to Sasha's thread:
    Poly-vi-sol?
    Hehe, an even better idea!