After reading this thread, I did an online search about flouride. I'd always heard that too much flouride is really bad for you, but I didn't know why, so I looked it up. What I found was actually really scary.
One of the most important things I read about was the fact that scientists in the 40's or 50's thought that flouride had to be ingested to do the most good for your teeth, however, dentists now say that that isn't true at all, it does not need to be ingested and actually does the most good when applied topically, ie. in toothpaste (which you don't eat, but spit out). Considering all of the harmful effects of ingesting too much flouride...flourosis (white spotting on teeth)...the possibility of bone cancer... some studies actually link too much flouride to lower IQ's!!!, I'm probably going to try to limit how much flouride my kids now ingest. The website I checked out www.fluoridealert.org
actually mentioned how infants were most at risk of being overdosed as there is flouride in almost everything due to manufacturing with flouridated water, and if people formula fed their children, the amount of flouride in the mixed formula increased to well beyond what is recommended.
The website totally supports and promotes breastfeeding due to the risks of overexposure of flouride in infant formula as well as the regular health benefits of breastfeeding. I didn't even expect it to mention breastfeeding...after all, it was a mainstreem informational website, not affiliated with breastfeeding advocates as far as I knew.