Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At what week or month do babies begin nursing less?

Default At what week or month do babies begin nursing less?

I plan to brestfeed on demand, but after 3 months I have to go back to work. By what week should I see a difference in how often the baby needs to nurse? I'm assuming the first few weeks and times of growth will be the most intense but then the baby won't feed as often. Am I correct?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: At what week or month do babies begin nursing less?

Well... they all grow differently and you will experience some "growth Spurts" along the way when it will seem as if she is nursing like a newborn all over again I can not remeber when Thomas slowed down, I always just kinda went with what he needed and naturally when he needed less he just slowly dropped a feed ect... Sorry that I can not help more....Every baby is different but for the first year bm is the primary source of nutrition, solids are mearly for exploration and experiementation... I would say for Thomas, he nursed about every 3-4 hours for the first year... Hang in there! Brittan-

every baby is different. That's what brought me to this site when my baby was 3 months old and nursing every 45 minutes. When I read posts that say my baby eats every 3 or 4 hours, I can't believe it. Mia still eats at least every 2 hours. The only way she goes longer is if we are out and she is really occupied, but then I know she will be eating all night. I just say don't have any expectations on that one.

Oh gosh, Thomas ate almost every hour and half for what seemed like forever!!! I think that 3-4 hours would be a good average of space over the whole year.. does that make since?

Oh I didn't mean I don't believe it. I just can't imagine it. It's a rare occasion that Mia goes that long. I know other babies do though.

Someone please tell me . I agree with pp, every baby is different. Wyatt can go 3 hours max! Usually he is every 2 like clockwork....except lately he is going 4 hour stretches at night...maybe 5...half the time I am not even sure how many times we nursed or if we even did (in the night I mean)...its like this automatic little thing that we both go into auto pilot.

Also, at night its every hour 6, 7, 8 & 9...thats why I think he makes it until midnight.

And you may also find that after going back to work your LO's eating schedule may change. Our first 2-3 weeks at day care DS was only doing enough BM from a bottle to get by and then doing some serious cluster feeding & reverse cycling in the evening & overnight. It was a pretty sleepless couple of weeks but I anticipated that might happen so was ok. After 6 weeks in day care, DS is doing really well on the bottle during the day, but still prefers the breast (yeah!) so I do some marathon nursing in the evenings - basically get set up on the couch with food, snacks, the phone & anything else I need and get prepared to be there for awhile.