Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump reviews/comparisons

Question Pump reviews/comparisons

I'm looking for reviews can comparisons of double electric breast pumps.
    Currently I am renting a Medela Symphony but can't afford to rent it long term and while I'm able to use it, I can't say that it is comfortable for me. (Right side uses medium flange and left uses small. Larger flange avoids rubbing discomfort but the bruised feeling and swollen aerolas is worse and I can't pump as much milk with the larger flanges.)
    I had some bad experience with an old pump in style hurting me bad even on the lowest setting.
    I'm afraid that a Medela Advanced Breast pump may be too powerful for me though it is the one I can get at no cost.

I would like to hear from some mommas with sensitive, stretchy nipples about which breast pumps worked well for you.

The one with the massaging petal inserts sounds like it might be worth trying to me but I really don't have any excess money to spare so I want to make sure I get to read some really honest reviews before I decide since I doubt it is a product they would take back for a refund it it doesn't work for me.

Default Re: Pump reviews/comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    I'm afraid that a Medela Advanced Breast pump may be too powerful for me though it is the one I can get at no cost..
    I have this one I think - is it the WIC pump? It's like the PIS in almost every way but comes in a very ugly bag and as you said, is free. It has served me faithfully for over one year, with a change once in tubing (free from Medela) and many many changes of the membranes and rotating the other parts (lots of extra sets).

Have you consulted an IBCLC about this? I wonder if you could try before you buy?
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*garsmum View Post
    I have this one I think - is it the WIC pump? It's like the PIS in almost every way but comes in a very ugly bag and as you said, is free. It has served me faithfully for over one year, with a change once in tubing (free from Medela) and many many changes of the membranes and rotating the other parts (lots of extra sets).

Have you consulted an IBCLC about this? I wonder if you could try before you buy?
    Yep it is the WIC pump. Unfortunately there is no "try" before you buy with the Medela advanced because it isn't a closed system.

I've talked with a couple LCs about the breast pump (one at WIC where I would get the pump but wouldn't be able to test out first and the other at the hospital that said go ahead and get the pump anyway if it's free I haven't lost anything, I just hate to take something that some one else might be able to use better) but haven't managed to get a consultation with an IBCLC.

I've read a few comments now where people with the Medela Advanced or PIS advanced find the suction to be too strong for them. I had been hoping that the OLD one I used was just old/malfunctioning but now I'm fearing that my nipples may just be too soft/stretchy and unsuited to the powerful suction of the Medela advanced breast pump.

So I've been reading reviews online but so many of the places with the reviews seem to be obviously influenced by the manufacturers or the people doing the reviews have only experienced the one pump.
    Anyway I'm wondering what people think of the
    Avent Isis iQ Duo Breast Pump
    Ameda Purely Yours Ultra
    Hygeia EnJoye-LBI Double Electric Breast Pump
    Playtex Embrace Breast Pump

Now those above listed pumps are on a site where most of the reviews are several years old so if some one knows of a site that is more up to date or has other pumps that are adjustable down to very low suction with adjustable speed as well, I'm interested.

Just posted about using an avent cushion with a Medela flange - maybe you could try this out with an LC before you buy

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*foodie920 View Post
    Just posted about using an avent cushion with a Medela flange - maybe you could try this out with an LC before you buy
    So far I haven't found a local LC (other than WIC) that has any breast pump stuff to lend or rent. I finally just took the gamble and ordered the Avent Pump. I suppose I can try the cushions from it in the Medela flanges but probably not much point since the primary reason I'm really interested in something other than the Medela is I'm scared that the Medela Advanced Pumps are going to be too strong for me since the OLD PIS I used hurt me even at the lowest setting and I've read several comments and reviews by others that said the Medela Advanced hurt them.

I'm actually getting what is supposed to be one of the "Older Model" more expensive hospital grade Phillips Advent pumps that has the programmable suction, frequency and duration settings rather than the newer models that have only three choices of suction. It seems to be only $50-$110 difference in price depending on where the pump is gotten from, I just have to pray the one I get is good since I have the impression they may not actually make the programmable one anymore and I've read a few reviews that say they are really good about sending replacement pumps when under warranty but that they can't really replace a pump that they don't actually make anymore so the replacement would the the newer not so flexible system.

I know the Medela PIS Advanced is considered to be a very good pump but I seem to have very stretchy nipples that get sucked FAR into the Shields and therefore I need something with suction I can adjust WAY LOW. The rental pump I can just adjust low enough but if I rent it for two months I could have paid for the new pump that I can keep.

The new pump comes tomorrow. I'll share what I think of it once I get to use it a bit.

Got the Avent Isis iQ Duo Breast Pump today (Well it is actually called a Twin Breast Pump now apparently)
    It is a bit trickier to use with the hands free bra because the shields don't come off the assembly so you have to work to get the assembly though the hole in the bra and it is larger than the Medela assembly.

The wide mouth bottles are nice.

It isn't any more "gentle" than the Medela Symphony.
    However, I can actually get alot of milk out using it because the frequency and duration of the suction is "programmable" or you can manually trigger the suction instead of recording and letting it run automatic. Being able to control the suction duration lets one keep the suction up while milk is spraying and then release when spray stops then go again. This Really gets more milk out of me than the non variable Symphony.
    Unfortunate thing is you basically have to re-set each time you pump since if you want to use a different setting for let down and then pumping you have to set those each time by triggering manually a few times and then hitting a button to automatically continue the tempo just set.

The cushions don't really work for me because they are a bit small and my nipples were rubbing so I pulled them out. I think it is possible to get different sizes but I don't know how that works unless they come with a whole new assembly since the plastic shields are integral to the pump/valve assembly.

It is really nice that the tubing is separated from the milk by a diaphragm so no chance of moisture/milk getting in the tubing and growing mold growing in the tubing or pump motor. This also means that the electronic parts/pump motor could be shared/sold and only the assembly that goes on the breast would need to be a "personal item".

Only been using it part of a day but seems pretty good so far.

Ok, been using the Advent ISIS twin electric breast pump for not quite two weeks now.
    Here is what I'm learning.

Spare parts for this particular pump are nearly impossible to get, I need to find out if any other the other brand pumps use the same valves since I can't get the duckbill valves for this pump!!!

It only has the one size flange that is integral to the pump body. It is nearly impossible to get spare parts so I have to wash the same set all the time instead of being able to rotate them.

Since the flange comes in only one size it is problematic for fitting properly. I have found though that the medela flanges for the personal fit do fit into the tunnel of these flanges well enough that I am now using it in a kinda double trumpet type design. This is actually kinda convenient since it is easier to get into the pump bra by simply putting the correct size flange into the bra and then putting that into the flange of the pump body.

The massage cushions for this particular valve come in only one size. The massage cushions are too small for my nipples!!!
    The "comfort" breast pump cusions do not fit the pump body flanges for the ISIS pumps!!! I bought the larger comfort cushions but they don't fit this and they don't really fit the large medela flanges either (well they fit into the tunnel but they don't fit the outside so keeping a good seal would get difficult.)
    The massage cushions don't really seem to help me in any case. I think they may be a good thing for people with really small nipples and people that need a lot of massaging of the aerola and breast under where the flange rests.

This pump has the infinitely adjustable timing and suction but to set the timing and suction is a manual operation with the level kinda like using a manual breast pump. It can be tricky to get the suction set just right at least for me.
    I seem to have a very fine margin between the pump really not doing anything to where the pump is hurting me. That range where milk actually comes out is really on the verge of uncomfortable and I sometimes find myself sticking a tissue into one of the flanges to keep the suction broken on one side while I work the other breast with compressions while pumping since it seems the suction level I can tolerate changes with compressions while I'm pumping but it takes two hands to hold the flange and do massage/compressions so to really do both breasts at once I would need 4 hands.

I envy you ladies that are able to pump more than an ounce at a time.