Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to wean 2-year-old co-sleeper

Default Want to wean 2-year-old co-sleeper

Hi all,

I might have the opportunity to go away for a few days late this summer with my husband. This sounds fantastic, except for one thing: my 2-year-old still nurses to sleep at night and naps, and sleeps with us (this part is ok with us). I know that my mother will sleep with him at night and lay with him at naps, but obviously she cannot nurse him. For this reason, and the fact that the kid is the size of a 4-year-old and healthy as a horse, I would like to begin weaning him. Have any of you weaned a child this age? How did you go about it? I would love to try to start this soon so I can successfully wean him in the next few months, and get some much needed alone time with the hubby. I would let LO lead the way, but he loves "his" boobs and at this point, seems to have ZERO intention of letting them go anytime soon. Help!!

TIA!

Default Re: Want to wean 2-year-old co-sleeper

Other than the trip, are you wanting to wean right now? Otherwise I think you can go on the trip without worrying about weaning. Your toddler knows that he can't nurse with your mom, and my guess is he will be perfectly happy to sleep with her without wanting to nurse (plenty of toddlers who insist on getting up all the time to nurse when mom is there, will sleep all night without nursing when mom is not!). Depending on the length of the trip you might want to be prepared to hand express or having a manual pump for comfort.

Honestly, I've been wanting to wean for about 6 months but haven't so as not to disturb the peace. Between being bitten, him tweaking the opposite nipple while nursing, flip-flopping over me, etc....I'm SO ready. But I know it's really good for him (the kid is 38" and about 40 lbs. - we're doing something right). I guess laziness has set in and I have been hoping to avoid sleepless, crying nights. At this point though, my patience (and my sex life!) are saying "time's up."

Hugs. I was once where you are now....weaning happens even if we do nothing to initiate it. I substituted nursing sessions for lap time, with a story book and a sippy cup. DS weaned in two weeks and broke my heart! He is 24 years old now, so I am over it.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thefoleyfive View Post
    Honestly, I've been wanting to wean for about 6 months but haven't so as not to disturb the peace. Between being bitten, him tweaking the opposite nipple while nursing, flip-flopping over me, etc....I'm SO ready. But I know it's really good for him (the kid is 38" and about 40 lbs. - we're doing something right). I guess laziness has set in and I have been hoping to avoid sleepless, crying nights. At this point though, my patience (and my sex life!) are saying "time's up."
    In that case, distraction is often helpful - being out and about; avoiding a favorite nursing place, if he has one - basically changing your usual routines/habits; using limiting techniques like saying that you will nurse up to the count of ten, or singing "Twinkle, twinkle" three times, etc. When daddy is home, having him take over when possible, like bedtime or nighttime - or even you sleeping elsewhere for a period of time.

I got the idea from someone here to put band aids over my nipples and tell DS that I had "boo boos" and couldn't nurse. It worked amazingly well when DS was 2 years old. I wonder if yours would buy something like that? We still cuddled to sleep (and the billion times he woke up at night), and I just didn't nurse. Obviously you can't change your mind though, or else the story of injury won't be believable.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)