Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for toddler while away on business trip?

Question Pumping for toddler while away on business trip?

I am trying to figure out how many times per 24 hour period I should be aiming to pump when I am away from my 16 month old son for 10 days starting next week. As I will be travelling abroad and under difficult conditions (potentially in a conflict zone), I will be pumping and dumping. So I am not pumping to meet his nutritional needs (he will be getting cow's milk while I am gone), but rather, to ensure that we can continue the nursing relationship when I get back home. Basically I just want to keep my supply up and avoid plugged ducts, mastitis, or any crazy hormonal changes due to decreased supply. He currently nurses around 3 times during the day and a few times during the early morning hours (we co-sleep so not sure how many times). Should I be aiming to pump a certain number of oz, or to be consistent with a certain number of pumping sessions? I appreciate any insights!

Default Re: Pumping for toddler while away on business trip?

My son was a bit older (around 24 months) when I went away, and we were usually down to nursing just at night (but with several night-wakings, not sure how many as we also co-sleep). I was mostly pumping for comfort rather than supply, and found I could make do with once in the morning and once at night. Your son is younger and probably getting more milk from you when he nurses, but I would aim to pump for comfort and not worry too much about your supply, which should be well-established by this point, and he can boost it back up when you get home if necessary. Maybe morning, night, and 1-2 times during the day as comfort and scheduling dictate?

The rule of thumb would be to pump when he usually nurses, so you could aim for 3 times during the day and then upon waking in the morning... but if it were me I think I would just pump before bed and upon waking and once during the day if time permits/if you feel like your breasts are full. I would not aim for a certain volume, I would just do it for 15-20 minutes (assuming double electric pump), with the goal being feeling like you've emptied your breasts. If, over the 10-day period you feel like your supply is dropping (you get less and less milk per session or you feel less full between pumping sessions), you can add more sessions to bring it back up toward the end of your trip, if possible. But I imagine no matter where your milk supply is at when you return, your baby will expertly bring it back up to meet his needs again, just as he's designed to do

I would pump however much (or little) is needed for your own comfort at this point, especially since you will not be able to utilize the milk.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post

I would pump however much (or little) is needed for your own comfort at this point, especially since you will not be able to utilize the milk.
    That's what I would do. And an extra one here and there if you have the opportunity. If you start to notice a drastic change in the amount of milk you're pumping, you might want to be more diligent about it, but since you aren't keeping the milk it should be fine to just pump enough to keep your supply going. Even if it drops a little, it should pick back up once you're home and baby is nursing again.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with PPs, mainly just wanted to chime in to say that I've been away from my LO four times since she turned one (she is now two and a bit). What worked for me was morning and bedtime pumping, of course it will be different from mom to mom, but my experience pumping for LO as a toddler has been a lot different from my experience of pumping when my kids were babies and I was away, which required a lot more pumping. I pumped until I was well drained.

Thanks very much to everyone who has posted. This is very reassuring and helpful for me. I think the only other issue I will have is timing, since where I am travelling to is a 7 hour time difference from where I am now, and it has been my past experience (when my son was with me) that my milk also got jet-lagged, although it adjusted faster than the rest of me.

Again, thanks!