Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly Taking Longer To Pump

Default Suddenly Taking Longer To Pump

Hello Ladies!

I've been almost exclusively pumping for 4 months now. It usually only takes me 15-20 minutes to pump. The last few times, however, its taken me 25 minutes+. I don't think I'm pumping less, just slower. Anyone experience this? I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet...

Any tips to speed things up again? I've tried a stronger setting, but it didn't seem to help...

Default Re: Suddenly Taking Longer To Pump

If a higher setting doesn't help, you might want to try the following:
    - rehab your pump
    - more frequent pumping sessions
    - try a different shield size
    - relaxation while pumping, e.g. deep breathing
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; May 18th, 2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fail!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How do you rehab your pump? I have a Medela Freestyle.

Thanks!!!

Replace every part that you can replace. The tubes. The diaphragm. Maybe even the motor. Call the company and ask what they recommend, in terms of rehabbing a pump.

Since you're EPing, you might want to use a hospital-grade rental pump. My guess is that a year of EP would burn through at least 2 Freestyles.

Are you at all interested in trying to nurse straight from the breast? My guess is that you ended up EP for a good reason- but maybe at this point it would be possible to get the baby to the breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"