Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Brown stringy substance in puke

Default Brown stringy substance in puke

This may not be a direct breast feeding question but I am still exclusively breast feeding so I thought maybe I'd try here. My LO is five months old and for the last three days he has had one episode per day where he has a very gurgley stomach and then he throws up. Not like normal spit up but a wrenching gagging vomit. It's kind of projectile. It's mostly mucus but there is a tiny bit of brown stringy stuff. He had this when he first born and the midwife said it was likely old blood. Coming out of the womb, I get the old blood, but now that he's five months old I'm really curious and worried about what it might be. Like I said, he's exclusively breast fed so it's not food. His demeanor is great, and no fever. He actually smiled right after the episode last time. Has anyone had this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't have any nipple pain and haven't had any cracked nipples or anything.

Default Re: Brown stringy substance in puke

Weight/length gain is good? Development is on target?

If so, my guess is that he's throwing up some old blood. One thing that happens to a lot of moms- without them even noticing- is that a small blood vessel will break painlessly while they are nursing or pumping. If they were pumping, they'd see their milk suddenly turn bright pink. But when they're nursing, the blood goes unnoticed- until their baby spits up, and then they see yucky brown strings of globs. If this is what I suspect, it will not hurt your baby. It looks freaky, but it's not a health hazard.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Any chance he got a hold of something and ate it without you noticing? Have his poops been normal?

I think that is something I'd call the doc to talk about. It could be nothing (and since he seems to be otherwise happy and healthy, that is most likely), but it could also be something to check out. The gagging wrenching vomiting alone would probably concern me, but with possible old blood in there I think I'd want to make sure there wasn't something wrong.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yea I was kind of wondering about the old blood, but the gagging vomit is was had me concerned too. Yes everything else is developmentally fine. I saw the doc this morning and he said he looked completely normal. We are watching it for a week and if necessary going to see a GI. I would kind of like to see the GI just for a perspective on this in conjunction with slow weight gain. He's been a slow gainer from the beginning and since I stopped gluten and dairy has actually done better. So I'm just wondering if a GI could provide any other thoughts. Thanks for your help...

Oh and there's no way he ate anything without me noticing and his poops and pees have been totally normal