Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing- need support and advice

Default Supplementing- need support and advice

So my baby is 11 months and 19 days old. Because of acid reflux, poor weight gain and subsequently low supply, I have been exclusively pumping starting at about 6 months (except for most overnight feedings, which is usually 1x/night).
    Well, my freezer stash is all but gone and I can't keep up with him anymore. I pump every 2-3 hours(sometimes it ends up being 3-4), and with the weather finally nice, I'm finding it harder and harder to squeeze it in. I have two older kids who have heard "No, I/we can't, I have to pump," all too often.

He has had food intolerance issues, and won't drink the hypoallergenic formulas. Even when I have tried mixing 1/4 t with 4 oz BM.

Yesterday I tried Gerber Gentle formula. He took .5 oz. Tonight I mixed it with apple juice, and he took 1.25 oz, then a 6 oz bottle of BM. Then he threw up.
    Now he won't sleep, which is unusual for him.

I don't know what to do. He has poor weight gain, so it's important he get good nutrition, but I just can't emotionally and physically continue to pump like this- I'm ignoring the rest of my family and still not getting much result.

It's a fact- I'm going to have to give him something other than BM, but I don't know what.

Someone please advise me. I'm sort of a nervous wreck about breastfeeding/producing, and this is not helping!
    Last edited by @llli*mel281; May 22nd, 2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Supplementing- need support and advice

Would your LO nurse during the day, if you offered? If he would, you could simply nurse as much as possible, stop worrying about supply and pumping, and then top your LO off with as much formula or solids as he would take.

It's really hard to say what you should supplement with, if your LO won't eat formula and has food intolerance issues and isn't yet quite a year. It seems to me that you should speak to a pediatrician and a nutritionist who is up on pediatric issues... They can give you specific suggestions for your child.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"