Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to pump? OALD

Default When to pump? OALD

Hi Ladies,
    I have got some excellent advice in the past & hoping I can get some more this time too
    My LO is 16 weeks old & nurses about 7-9 times in 24 hours. He usually will nurse only one side for most feedings except 2 (rarely 3) feedings at night will be on both sides. He has about 6-8 wet & 3-4 BM diapers in a day. I don't know his recent weight gain as he has not been to the dr yet.
    I have OALD which comes & goes & currently it is at the minimum. I need to give him expressed milk via bottle every now & then so I can run errands or do the needful for my older daughter who is 4 yrs old. What is a good time to pump without aggravating my fast letdown much? I do have some milk in the freezer but it will be enough for 2 feeds only. I am planning on pumping when hubby gives a bottle to LO. Shall in pump only one side since he will nurse only one side or shall I pump both the sides?
    Thank you!

Default Re: When to pump? OALD

It's impossible for us to say when you should pump. It's just too individual a question to answer! If it were me, though, I'd start by evaluating just how much milk I was going to need. Are you planning for the occasional short absence, or are you planning to make this a daily thing? Are you planning on short separations (1-3 hours) or longer ones (3 hours or more)? If the separations are going to be occasional and short, you might be able to simply pump during the separation and get enough milk for the next time. If it's going to be daily or long, then you might want to be a little more aggressive about pumping, and get a bit ahead in your stash.

Since you have OALD and may still have some oversupply, as your baby currently needs just 1 breast per feeding, I'd probably choose a cautious approach. Pump a couple of oz per day, whenever is convenient for you. Maybe 4 oz if you're planning a daily separation. When pumping during an absence, stick with one breast as long as that's all your baby needs at a feeding. If he graduates to taking both breasts, then pump both sides during your absence.

Of course, play everything by ear! If pumping is bring back the OALD or exacerbating the oversupply, it's time to throttle back. If you feel like you're having trouble filling the bottles, step it up. Stay flexible and you'll do just fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It also depends on how well you respond to the pump. Some people find they don't get much let down to the pump if they are only pumping one side.

I hear that some people simply pump after the first morning feeding when supply is good and save that up a few days to make a bottle for the freezer stash. I personally have an under supply and under active let down so I'm still power pumping to increase supply so I don't really know what sort of schedule or pumping time would be best to minimize aggravating oversupply.

Thank you for your advice! 1-2 days after I posted this LO started nursing on both sides for most feeds. He will typically nurse on one side if he has eaten less than 2 hours ago or on the right side which makes more milk.
    I started pumping 3 days ago after a feed since I wasn't sure he will take the bottle. I didn't want to empty my breasts without him taking the bottle. Out of 3 attempts he only took the bottle once. I had to nurse him later since I had less than 2 oz of pumped milk. He is refusing to take the bottle since then. We had started with daily bottles about 2 months ago but my OALD became worst so had to stop it.

I am currently thinking on giving him bottle at least 3-4 times a week providing he starts taking it, so he doesn't reject it when I need to go run errands. The separation will most likely be a short one.

Luckily I have rented the hospital pump so my body responds well to it. I wish I could pump in the morning as I do think I will get more milk but I want to be able to pump daily & my older daughter is home for next week so I can't really pump when she is up. I can do it once she is taking her nap.