Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should i feed my 9 mo - 12mo old baby

Question How much should i feed my 9 mo - 12mo old baby

So I'm going to stop pumping at 9 mo. I have some milk in the deep freezer but I'm trying to forecast how much i'll need. I plan to use it all with my LO since he will be going to day care. I will only keep his morning and night feedings from the breast. How much breast milk do 9 mo to 12 mo old drink a day and per feeding?

Side note: He is slowly doing solids... I offer twice a day but right now he might get 3 bites (he is 7 mo).

Default Re: How much should i feed my 9 mo - 12mo old baby

Really hard to tell because he could be into solids by then or not. Probably 2-3 oz a feeding, but that depends on how often they feed, too. So he's not at daycare now? How much is he nursing now? Are you wanting him to have frozen milk 9-12 mos? Do you have an oversupply now? I don't know how you're going to build up 3 months worth of milk in 2 mos but I guess it could happen if you pumped a ton. 24 oz is average breastfed baby intake for 24 hrs and decreases a bit as they get more into solids.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    So he's not at daycare now? How much is he nursing now? Are you wanting him to have frozen milk 9-12 mos? Do you have an oversupply now? I don't know how you're going to build up 3 months worth of milk in 2 mos but I guess it could happen if you pumped a ton. 24 oz is average breastfed baby intake for 24 hrs and decreases a bit as they get more into solids.
    He is not at daycare
    He is nursing an average of 4-5 times a day. Once at night.
    Frozen milk throughout the day, i'll give him boob when he wakes up and then when he is down for the night.
    No oversupply... I've been pumping since he was 3 weeks to help build my supply since I had low supply with my first. This time around I've had enough.

Baby typically needs 1 - 1.5 ounces per hour at daycare, usually in 2 or 3 oz portions or maybe 4 at the most, as krystine says. But this is typically if baby is nursing more often than what you have planned, so baby may need more than that during the day. I guess one question is how well you will be able to maintain supply nursing only twice per day - for example, if you are not able to maintain much supply with two nursing sessions/24 hours, then you will need to plan on supplying most of baby's needs with the expressed milk. As krystine says the average is 24 oz/24 hours, but it can range from 19 oz to 30 oz. Solids don't usually start playing a major nutritional role until after the age of one - at this point they're more for baby learning tastes, textures, and how to feed himself.

I am just confused how you will have extra to freeze suddenly, you know what I mean?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.