Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing - a magic tool

Default Nursing - a magic tool

My boy (18m) got hyper today just before bedtime. It was hilarious, he was frantically giggling, running and hiding, having an overstimulated fantastic time. I don't recall ever experiencing him this way. While chatting to our neighbour, who was watching this, I mentioned bedtime was in 10 minutes. She then said: Ha! Good luck! And laughed, it seemed pretty unrealistic. But to me it was clear this overtired boy would be sleeping in no time, but only because of the magic tool that breastfeeding is. It was very funny, he was still giggling and kicking his feet and flapping his arms while nursing, but was asleep within a few minutes. No one got annoyed or frustrated in the process. I can only hope this will be an available tool during the terrible twos ahead of us (anyone any experience/stories to share on how nursing helps toddlers through frustrations during that time?)

Default Re: Nursing - a magic tool

So cute, and so true! Yes, my two year old can be in a major meltdown, nurse, and then everything is just fine. DEFINITELY a magic tool.

I no longer believe in the terrible twos. My dd is 2.5, still nursing maybe 10? times in a 24 h day, and is an absolute delight to be with. We are firm about a few limits and she respects them. She is kind and generous and helpful, creative, musical, gentle and funny. I am so proud to be her mom! And yes, I think nursing provides much-needed down-time and reconnection for us.

I'm so with you all! Pure magic at bedtime. My son of two is also skipping the terrible twos (for now), unless I'm trying to deny him his favourite activity which is of course.. anybody wanting to guess?
    Darling daughter (self-)weaned at 9 months
    Darling son is 2 1/2 and there is no end in sight breastfeeding-wise..

P.S. I'm new here by the way! And full of conflicting feelings about still breastfeeding, i.e. still using this magical tool, still loving the nursing relationship, but starting to worry about long-term implications of this 'natural activity' in our 'unnatural culture'. :-(
    Darling daughter (self-)weaned at 9 months
    Darling son is 2 1/2 and there is no end in sight breastfeeding-wise..

Welcome, Maryna! I'm wondering what long-term implications you are worried about - perhaps start a new thread on the topic?