Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on night feedings and changings

Default Re: Tips on night feedings and changings

Just do what works for ya. I handle all the nighttime duties (and dooty LOL) since I co sleep w/ Chloe and my hubby co sleeps w/ our 2 year old in her room.

But I have to ask this! Am I a bad mommy? Sometimes I don't change Chloe's diaper til the morning (like 4am). Especially if it is just wet. In the very begining I did.

i usually do all of the night feedings. on the weekends DH will take one of his early morning feedings and stay with him for a while (usually a 5am feeding) i'll pump a bottle and leave it for him, but often i just do all of them. i know what i'm doin gwith him and DH doesn't really do well with getting him back to sleep. i often walk in to them sleeping in the recliner.

as far as diapers go, if LO does not have poop i don't change him until the morning. usually he gets up at about 2,5, 7 and i dont change him until 7. i read somewhere to do this and my LO is fine. no diaper rash and he wakes up less and is easier to get back to sleep.

I have the same guilt as many of you about waking my DH at night b/c he is back at work already. He works with animals that can be dangerous at times so I like him to get the sleep he needs. With that said, I am lucky b/c he has never needed much sleep. He is fine on 5 hours but once a week needs a longer sleep night. He generally does the midnight feeding with a bottle of EBM, I take the 3am and then he is back up at 6am to feed/change her. She sleeps in our room but if she is pretty loud when she feeds and gets her diaper changed so who ever is up often takes her down stairs to her nursery to feed and change. My best sleep is from 6am when he feeds her until about 8am b/c I know he is uo with her and she is safe.

We still both wake up every time she moves or makes a sound which is tiresome b/c she grunts, coos and squeaks in her sleep. She also passes gas like a guy and will often wake herself (and us) by her farts or when she makes a dirty diaper with gas.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by blinkinmapple View Post
    funny thing is is she is gonna be 6 months and he hasn't changed a diaper yet lol
    Ha! My DH has changed 4 diapers since my LO was born. And I don't think he's changed her clothing once yet.

Wow, I'm so lucky. I'm gonna go home and give dh a big kiss. The first 2 weeks I changed maybe 2 diapers and dh got up all night, changing, giving her to me for feeding, and putting her back to bed . When he went back to work, I did most of the night duties with him changing a diaper once in a while. Now he is staying home with lo during the day while I work and he changes her before feedings. BTW, we don't change her every time she wakes up anymore- only if she's dirty or obviously uncomfortable, or we know she's got a diaper rash going already.

My husband works full-time-plus (he's a chef - long hours), so I do all of the overnight stuff. I have never mastered the feeding in bed bit, either (too dark to accomplish a decent latch - especially in the beginning), so we get up and leave the room. I keep a dim light on in the living room, and we have a changing station and a cradle in there. I get up with her, take her out, change and then feed her, and then when she is fully out cold, I pump off "side B" and we go back to bed.

After 1-2 night feedings (depending on the day - it is inconsistent) he gets up with her in the morning and gives her a bottle so that I can get 3-4 hours of solid sleep before he goes to work. I also will go to bed earlier than he does, and get up to nurse her at about midnight or one so that he can go to bed.

We introduced bottles of pumped breastmilk at 3 weeks because I was a walking zombie with an attitude at that point. He loves feeding her, and with our system he still gets about 7 hours of solid, recuperative sleep which allows him to get through the work days. I get my sleep in shorter increments, but I also stay home all day right now so I need less active brain power!!

You will find a system that works for you. I have no problem with getting up alone with her at night. I enjoy that time with her, and we both stay more sedated when we are quiet and alone together, which makes it easier to fall back to sleep. She is just over 5 weeks now, and we pretty much have it down to a science.

I always do the night time parenting too. I actually enjoy it - and my three year old is so used to me in the middle of the night that she gets upset if Daddy comes instead :-(. My husband works a million hours anyway, so I can stay home, plus it's not like he can nurse, so unless I want to pump, I'd have to be up anyway. I make sure my DS is in a clean diaper, and unless it's absolutely necessary, I don't change it until morning. We co-sleep, so it's really not that bad most of the time.

The first couple of weeks DH did most of the diaper changing at night and bringing DS to me to nurse (we had a bassinet in our bedroom) so I could get a little sleep between the frequent early days feedings. Now at 4 months, DS typically gets up only 1 or 2 times a night and I typically do all the night time stuff (and yes I leave him in a diaper unless it's poopy or soaking wet). I do have a threshold - if I've been awake for about an hour and DS refuses to go back to sleep because he's decided it's play time I wake up DH, hand him DS, say "your turn" and then crawl back into bed. Both of us work full time and take turns letting the other one get a couple extra hours of sleep whenever possible, especially on weekends. If DH has been up most of the night with DS, I'll take DS on the couch and nurse & snooze there. If I've been up alot, DH will take DS and let me do alot of naps on the weekends.